Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lolly2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-12-2012, 04:19 PM

My dog has developed new bad behaviour

Hello been some time since I was on here, I rescued two dogs a couple of years ago and one died suddenly of a heart attack back in march the vet said he must have always had a heart condition and there was nothing i could have done.

The thing is my girl has started to behave differently on walks since he died. Its got that I only walk her now either very early when no one is around or late at night when its dark and quiet. She barks and lunges at both dogs and people and sounds quite aggressive she is a softy in the house though. She didn't take so much notice when she used to walk with the dog I lost. She is also a nightmare out in the front garden when people walk past she flies at the gate late a mad thing. How do I get the control back she used to be so good.
any advice would be great thanks in advance
oh yeah forgot to say She is a 5yr basset hound x cocker spaniel
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Hello, and first of all this is just a fill in until someone knowledgeable comes along to help as they surely will.

I am just wondering though whether your other dog that sadly died was "top dog"? Perhaps your girl now feels that it is her responsibility to take care of everything, which might explain her behaviour. In which case, she needs to be made more relaxed and safe in the knowledge that you don't need her constant protection.

Good luck anyway.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

12-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Agree with Sally, it seems like she's feeling threatened and insecure.

I would want to assure her that I was in control of every situation we get in, and that she is safe with me. That requires some self-assurance and assertiveness not towards her, but the outside world in general. She needs to feel safe that the person looking after her has everything in order and that she doesn't need to 'step-up' to looking after both you and herself.

You might also want to get her checked at the vets, in case something is bother her - and mention her change of behaviour. If they think it's something worth worrying about they may suggest a behaviourist.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-12-2012, 08:35 PM
I have to agree with both Azz and Bitkin, if the dog that you sadly lost was the 'senior' dog and provided a watching brief over the other dog then it is almost certain that now she is feeling no one is protecting the 'pack' and she has taken on that role, so you need to demonstrate that you can keep all threats at bay and that she doesn't need to worry about it.

I'm not sure about the best way of doing this but you can show her that she's safe, keep her well fed and watered, and give her a nice safe place to sleep.
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-12-2012, 09:59 PM
You've just described Bentley's old behaviour!
Once we started to 'protect' him things improved very quickly and he is so much more sociable now. Approaching other dogs head on can sometimes lead to a scuffle, especially if the other dog is a bit hyper so we'll 'arch' around other walkers and Bentley follows. If he's on lead we ensure he stays to heel just slightly behind us so that we're leading the way, not him.
With the garden, we ask him to sit and wait inside whilst one of us goes to check the 'coast is clear'. He no longer rushes off to defend his property from squirrels and other garden terrorists.
We were really lucky finding a local behaviourist who helped us understand that Bentley was looking for direction from us. We have also started doing a lot more training with him and our bond has strengthened so much so that he is much more responsive when we're out.

I think as others have said, definitely get the vet to check your pooch for anything else that might be bothering her. Although, I think she's trying to protect you by the sound of things. I really know how you feel and I started avoiding peak dog walking times so there would be less chance of Bentley getting an asbo Good luck x
lolly2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-12-2012, 10:20 PM
It does make sense I guess that although George was a friendly soul he was older than her and was the boss, Her training with simple things like tricks has come on in leaps and bounds all of this is in the home environment I think yes she thinks she needs to take the lead now and I should get some advice on how to let her know I have control and she doesn't need to protect me. she used to bark at other dogs when met on lead but play fine with any when she was loose and that were also off lead but now I don't even take her off since she started this behaviour.
I will try to be more assertive i guess having to walk her late at night i do feel a little insecure myself and she maybe senses this.
Thank you again lolly and mildred the nutty basset : )
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by lolly2012 View Post
Thank you again lolly and mildred the nutty basset : )
Mildred! Love that name! I was a massive fan of the Worst Witch series of books when I was younger
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-12-2012, 09:53 AM
You need to condition the dog to think people walking past is a good thing.
Perhaps by getting her to meet lots of people who give her treats. I know this is hard work and takes a lot of effort but it will pay of in the long run.
You could get people to walk past and treat her but ensure they don't do this while she is misbehaving or you will reinforce the wrong behaviour.

This sort of thing is easier if you belong to a training club as you have access to willing participants.

Best of luck,

"may you find peace on your walks"