Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AmyH-Cornwall
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2010, 09:44 AM

To neuter or not to neuter???

Hi all

Monty is 9 months now (where has that time gone! )

I am really confused about getting him neutered! Do I or don't I? When I got him I said to myself that unless he becomes a problem I will not get him done! (I have always in the back of my head wanted to show Monty and would like the option) However....Monty goes to day care twice a week and his trainer there (he is also his trainer) will not take an uneutered dog as he doesn't want an increased risk of fights etc etc. which is fine and I fully understand! But what do I do about Monty? Do I take something away from him that he loves (not taking him daycare anymore) or do I get him neutered?

We went to Camborne Show over the weekend and met 5 Beagles (2 different owners) and none of the boys were neutered and they looked lovely!! - I am always afraid if he is done to early he will not fill out properly and if I leave it to late there is no point! I am not sure if the whole 'filling' out thing is proven or not!!??

Ahhhh..sorry for the rubbish post I am just really confused and would really welcome some honest comments, suggestions etc, what have you done with your dogs?

Thanks guys!
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2010, 10:22 AM
I think it is good to make a decision that you are comfortable with and do plenty of research first.

From a health point of view it is better to neuter to prevent testicular cancer, prostrate cancer and penile cancer and 9 months is a good age; anything much older can cause problems like longer recovery etc.

An unneutered dog can, in some cases have aggression problems which is what the dogtrainer is concerned about, but Monty is your dog and you have to make the decision that you can live with. From Monty's point of view, he won't really be aware of what happens to him and will recover quickly so good luck with your decision for your furbaby x
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Did you actually get him as a show prospect from a show breeder then?

My view is that I would always neuter pet dogs eventually, as I see no point in keeping them entire. Luckily most people around here neuter their dogs, but the few that keep them entire are completely out of control and rude in their behaviour around other dogs.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 10:49 AM
I wouldn't mend what isn't broken.

If it started to become a problem with aggression (or first tiny signs of) or running off (although he is a beagle anyway (G)) then I'd have him neutered but certainly not yet whlie he is still finding his own level and not fully mature.

How long will the minder take him for unneutered? It seems odd to worry about it unless there have been signs that there might be trouble. Unneutered dogs are just as likely to be stroppy as neutered ones IME---sometimes more so because they lose their confidence along with their balls----so to speak!

rune
BWS
Listed Rescue on Dogsey

19-07-2010, 10:54 AM
it is a proven fact that there is a much higher possibility of prostate and testicular cancer on unneutered males so from a health point of view I would always say neuter ,I am sure if you have a discussion with your vet he /she will advise you what they think is best for your boy .
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Really it is up to you
Some will say neuter, some not - everyone has their view
I neuter (well I rescue so I dont have a choice)
JIMMY LAW
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Hi Amy, I have had Beagles neutured and left intact, it all depends on the dog and behaviour issues, if he has not got any issues i would leave him intact. My two Beagles i have got now are both neutured purely because Jez would run away all the time and Roman because he would keep humping other male dogs who were also had their "maracas"and he would eventually have got bitten. Yesterday went to a Beagle Welfare walk with upto 75 Beagles running around with many with and many without of all ages. My first Beagle lived to a nice old age of 16 and in those days you didnt neuture.Iif you want to show him you have not got alot of choice.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Well Ben McFuzz sums it up, but I would never have one of mine neutered to suit someone else. It's wrong to say all neutered dogs are better natured and less likely to fight it's simply not true. Most of mine are neutered but not all and no previous dogs have been done and managed to live in a multi dog household.
You should do what you feel is right for you and your dog.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 11:34 AM
I've only ever had mine neutered for health reasons, i.e. some had lumps develop, one was far too skinny as he got older and I was worried he would have no resources to fall back on if he ever got ill, I had him done so as to fatten him up in old age and it worked a treat, he was like a puppy again when he was done aged 9. The girls were done as they got older in order to try to prevent cancer etc., and Remy was done quite early as she had problems with her seasons, so it was kinder to have her spayed at a relatively early age.

I've always shown my dogs though, and they need to be entire for that reason, although I did have Bradley neutered at a young age for health reasons and got permission to show him from the Kennel Club, so I wouldn't let my hobby rule whether they were neutered or not, the health always came first.

Having long coated dogs always presents a problem when deciding about neutering, although if I had short coated and didn't show them I think I would be very much like Rune...if it isn't broke then don't fix it. If Henry proves not to like showing, or isn't suitable then I have no plans to neuter him.

I suppose the real dilemma here is, do you have him neutered so that he can continue with his dog sitter, who he is very comfortable with, or do you keep him entire so you could possibly show him. Is there anyone you can go to that will give you an honest opinion of him with a view to showing? I'm just thinking, if they say he's not up to the grade then at least thats one thing that will help your decision...if he is of a suitable grade then it's going to be down to the pro's and con's of showing versus his happiness with his sitter.

Sorry I probably haven't been much help here
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 11:36 AM
I think for every study there is an opposite one for the health reasons for neutering.

I am also from the 'if it aint broke dont fix camp' and have never had a neutered dog, also never had health, behavioural or unwanted puppy problems.

Do what you feel is right for your boy and not just to suit others.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >