Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2006, 11:03 AM

Has anyone heard of this.. feeding dogs fat

Someone said to me they feed their dogs complete food and add chunks of lard? I honestly cant see any point in this apart from giving the dogs clogged arterys? Maybe someone can enlighten me
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-10-2006, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by Zuba View Post
Someone said to me they feed their dogs complete food and add chunks of lard? I honestly cant see any point in this apart from giving the dogs clogged arterys? Maybe someone can enlighten me
High fat diets are thought to contribute to pancreatitis, some breeds in particular are predisposed to this including Miniature Schnauzers/Shelties/Yorkies...there is some info on it here,

http://www.provet.co.uk/health/disea...reatitiscu.htm

http://www.gsdhelpline.com/depancrea.htm

(some vets mine included think that the BARF diet may contribute to the development of pancreatitis in susceptible dogs )...
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
(some vets mine included think that the BARF diet is particularly bad for susceptible dogs, they can't metabolises all that fat )...
If the dogs are having zero carbs they need fat for energy...I suppose it becomes a problem when people are feeding carbs with a raw diet??

Still not quite the same as adding chunks of lard to dog food and can't think what the person is thinking of tbh??...
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2006, 11:21 AM
High fat diets are thought to contribute to pancreatitis, some breeds in particular are predisposed to this including Miniature Schnauzers... this explains why

(some vets mine included think that the BARF diet is particularly bad for susceptible dogs, they can't metabolises all that fat )...
Thanks Mini

So it isn't a good idea to add fat to the diet so why would somebody do it? The person who told me this is far from responsible but I cannot figure why somebody would do this?
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2006, 11:22 AM
High fat diets are thought to contribute to pancreatitis, some breeds in particular are predisposed to this including Miniature Schnauzers... this explains why

Also to add: If people do lots of research there are actually raw diets suitable for dogs with the above conditions or that are susceptible to them.
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
If the dogs are having zero carbs they need fat for energy...I suppose it becomes a problem when people are feeding carbs with a raw diet??

Still not quite the same as adding chunks of lard to dog food and can't think what the person is thinking of tbh??...

The person who told me is far from responsible and so it didn't suprise me that it wasn't a good thing to do, what makes it worse is this person is a breeder. God knows what advise they are giving to all the new puppy owners
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2006, 11:30 AM
I can understand maybe leaving the fat on raw meaty bones, but feeding lard seems ludicrous for whatever reasons......
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2006, 11:31 AM
sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by Zetacharlie View Post
I can understand maybe leaving the fat on raw meaty bones, but feeding lard seems ludicrous for whatever reasons......
I agree but curiosity has me wanting to know why somebody would do it? Its killing me not knowing, i have my suspitions as to why but want to know what everyone else thinks before I say
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2006, 11:42 AM
I'm just curious if the poor dogs he feeds lard to ever take a normal poop? I would think it would give them the constant s***s?...lol

Also lard contains the chemicals bha and bht that people say to avoid in dog food for it being a possible carconogenic (sorry spelling!?) when fed on a regular basis.

I just can't think what the person is thinking still!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >