View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2009, 08:07 PM
Mine work but it's only seasonal - Autumn/Winter. The rest of the time they're quite happy with what they get: a couple of walks a day, and perhaps some training or a game. People say they're really laid back for GSPs, and although they could go all day, they're very steady and are really settled when they're at home. They have a mixture of work and show in their pedigrees.

I don't know about other working dogs though - some working springers and cockers do seem particularly mad to me, but like GSPs, some are really mad, some are pretty chilled and others are inbetween. It'd come down to the individual dog I guess. I do wonder what the best strategy is though: trying to substitute large amounts of working activity and risking overstimulating them. or whether to try and get them used to a reasonable amount of activity but risking this not being adequate.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-04-2009, 08:33 PM
I think you first need to specify what you mean by working breeds.. many breeds fall into the category of "working breeds"

The guardian breeds, the shepherding ,the terriers and the gun dog breeds, all are capable of work, and all are equally able to fit into a non working home, depending on the dog and the people who own it.

But I think what you mean are the working gundogs... dogs bred from working lines..

Again it will all depend on the home said dog is placed into.

To be honest though, as the owner of a very extreme high energy breed, I would never ever contemplate owning a working line bred gun dog... of any sort.

Don't get me wrong I love gundogs, and have a few breeds on my wish list..

But along with working bred Collies, there are a few I would never contemplate owning...

And the working Springer would be one of them.

Have owned one, in the past, she was not to bad, but I also have a friend who owns one..and that dog gives me a headache she is adorable, but NEVER tires... she is on the go 24/7.she is in a very active home, but her breeding is such , she needs to work... at all costs!

I do think it can work, as to be honest most Springer's, you see around will have come from working /farm bred lines.. and most make fabulous pets..but if you are unlucky to get a true worker... I am not sure any pet home will be enough for said dog.

Same goes for the high prey drive working breeds, I would never willingly buy one who is pecifically bred to work.

I know my lifestyle (although active) would not be enough to accommodate such dogs who have been bred to work , above all else.

Only speaking for myself here, but what ever breed I would go for would be from show lines, as I know I am getting a dog , that I admire the look of , but also know it is not bred to extreme (for work) I dont have the knowledge or time to give it.

Each to there own, and the saying "horses for courses " is never more true.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Working breeds and working lines IMO are very different!

Charlie is from working lines on both sides (BC and ESS), he has never really been a problem at all, lovely calm lad, he does have some issues from his past which are due to his previous owner not his breeds or lines.

Dusty (mini dachshund) is from pet only lines, not even show lines really, she has absolutely no red in her ped at all. She is still very much a hound, once she gets scent of something she's a swine, on the other hand she couldn't so a days work, instinct is there but nothing else, she is a very lazy dog.

Maddy is from working lines, in fact generations of working lines and dogs bred to be good workers, she is what you would expect from this really and she does need a lot of exercise and mental stimulation otherwise she is insane. She is a very highly strung dog anyway so she does not need to be bored. I have to say though now she's older she is a lot calmer than she was up to 3 years.

Star is half from working lines, her dad's side is working lab and she seems to have a lot of instinct and energy but not overly so like Maddy was at her age. Star has i'd say an average amount or energy for her young age. She will settle in the house whereas Maddy I don't think I ever saw her sleep from 6 months - 3 years.

Sadie's mum was a working Lurcher, Sadie has a very high prey drive but being brought up with a cat she is good with cats in the house. She does like a chase and will chase rabbits and small furries. Aside from that she is very laid back and is happy with a run around the field and then home once or twice a day and now she is older she often prefers her days off just staying at home and in the garden bless her.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 08:14 AM
I have to say having owned 3 springers I feel they are happier in a working type home, they were my 1st dogs and blimmin hard work taught me lots. I fostered for springer rescue and came across many unhappy springers many displaying OCD.
My lab in theory is a working dog and best family pet we ever had totally superbly behaved in house.
My GSD seems very happy in home enviroment.
My x is a lounge lizard.
I think there is nothing nicer than seeing any breed do what comes naturally to them.
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2009, 08:52 AM
Fly is from working lines, her dad was a sheepdog champ and also worked every day until my grandparents retired she was 5 and was very happy to settle into a pet home. I've also be working Shadow @ a local farm as I'm good friends with the farmer but mostly he's a pet and I wouldnt say he needs excessive exercise! And both are very happy as pets and are stretched out snoozing as I type this lol
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 09:45 AM
I agree with what has been said, there is a difference between working lines and working breeds.

Bruce comes from working lines, his father is a working dog today, however Bruce occassionally can show herding traits, but not anywhere as much as Skye does.

Bruce as a pet in the home, does work, but then he is into flyball, and joins in the playtime dog centre (which is in the park) on Thursdays, mostly collies and he gets alot of mental stimulation.

Skye is better at herding, and therefore she gets the job of seeing to the chickens and furries, she is good at ''find and seek'' she is happiest when doing jobs.

Reah has no instincts what so ever, therefore she is the perfect ''Pet''

My late JRT was a working dog from working breeds, therefore we worked her as a ratter, she was used by companies who had a vermin problem, and alot of pigeon fanciers contacted us to use her to rid the vermin.

My late Border Collie had no instincts (like reah) and made again a perfect ''pet''

I think it can work if the owner is aware of the dogs needs, however this can be time consuming and I think anyone rushing out to say buy a border Collie with traits ofworking and thinkingI won't take it out today and won't take it out tomorrow, or I won;t mentally stimulate it for the next 3 days......isn't going to work, they are just going to end up with a frustrated and destructive dog
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I agree, but just to make it clear - the working collie will quite happily sit on his kennel or sleep when away from work BECAUSE he is getting the work to do and that mentally and physically tires him and he is happy to wait patiently until it is his turn to work again.

My dogs will happily relax like this after a good training session, which tires them out mentally & asks quite alot physically with the accuracy required.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
My dogs will happily relax like this after a good training session, which tires them out mentally & asks quite alot physically with the accuracy required.
Precisely Mish - your collies are dogs that are given a job to do that works their body and, more importantly, their mind Dogs that are physically and mentally challenged on a regular basis will not be unhappy, bored dogs
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Working type dogs without the correct stimualation...will still work, but instead of with you they will go Self employed!!!!! Not really what you want in a relaxing house!!!!!!!!!!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Working type dogs without the correct stimualation...will still work, but instead of with you they will go Self employed!!!!! Not really what you want in a relaxing house!!!!!!!!!!
Hahaha - GENIUS!!!

BTW - I am reading my thread I just don't have much to input, it was more for educational purposes ;o)
Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »