View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2006, 09:52 AM

For all breeders out there - is Canine epileptoid cramping reason to replace pup?

maybe that is a stupid question but anyway... i was told that Jacks breeders should give me another dog because Jack has CECS
several people told me that if something is wrong with the puppy, breeders should give you another dog from one of the next litters
so those of you who breed dogs, do you know if that is true?
i dont believe it.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2006, 09:58 AM
No I dont really think that is the case, maybe if the dog had a fatal illness and was very young, they may offer you another puppy, but I wouldnt of thought so in this case.
Dawn.
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2006, 10:16 AM
i didnt quite believe that myself too. i am not planning to another dog anyway, i was just wondering if that is true. but if i am getting another dog one day, it will definately not be from the same breeders as Jack is. they do not deserve to be breeders
thank you borderdawn
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-01-2006, 07:24 PM
No Nina, in the circumstances I don't think it would be right to expect the breeder to give you an additional puppy. However, if a puppy was bought as a show prospect, and developed something that meant that it could not be shown. An incorrect bite for instance, then a breeder could only be expected to take the puppy back and offer another in it's place.

Of course most people could not, and would not wish to return a puppy to exchange it for another one. So perhaps the best a breeder could do, would be to sell you another puppy at a reduced price.

Puppy buyers need to be aware, that as a living, breathing, being, anything can happen in puppy development, and probably will.

Puppies are a bit like our children, we should love them no matter what crops up.

Dawn R.
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2006, 07:46 PM
thx nursey
i wouldnt change Jack for a million dollars! ! ! ! !
it is just a lot of breeders here who told me this and i wanted to check out, because it doesnt seem right to me, that if puppy is ill, you just get another puppy. as i look on this thing the same as you do: puppy is a living thing and unexpectable things can happen (eventough Jacks breeder knew that this litter wasnt ok and he didnt told us until they got their pedigrees) but they need love anyway.
i wanted Jack for a companion and he is doing his job more than perfectly. we also do agility and freestyle obedience. he is perfectly ok. i didnt intend to breed him(until someone PRT ladyasked me too).
please dont think less of me, i just wanted to check out, as it doesnt seem right to me that breeders would just give you another pup.
thank you for understanding
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2006, 03:26 PM
Sorry im a bit dim but what is cecs an illness ? if so what type ?ive never heard of it , i hope you dont mind me asking
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2006, 05:46 PM
My view would be, if a breeder sold me a puppy that turned out to have a problem, I would be disinclined to have another one from the same kennel especially if it was a repeat mating, since - how do you know that another one from a later litter wouldn't have the same problem?
There are certain health issues in my breed that have crept in over the years, and the owner of a stud dog that sired a litter where once such condition was diagnosed, immediately withdrew him from stud. In contrast, the owner of a bitch affected by another problem was told to go ahead (and keep her mouth shut) by the breeder and stud dog owner and breed from her as the puppies wouldn't show symptoms until they were over a year old by which time the breeder "couldn't be held responsible".
It can be a tricky area. Only one puppy I have bred came down with a condition that the owner attempted to blame me for, luckily it was proved that if the owner feeds her on lasagne and chips, her skin condition probably WILL NOT be ideal!
Good luck with yours JacekPacek, he obviously has a great home with you.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2006, 10:38 AM
its more likely that a part or full refund would be offerd
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Olly I didn't know either, so here's a link
http://www.borderterrier-cecs.com/

Sorry to hear about your puppy JP, but I know nothingto help you on this one.