Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lessie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-01-2013, 08:39 PM

Complementary wet food

Hi,

I've been doing a lot of research on dog food, and for some reason complementary wet food are quite hard to find. Decent ones, with high % of meat and no fillers/cereals.

I've only tried F4D Mousse and PrizeChoice mince (which I am currently using - and suits both my dogs)

I just wondered if there are more out there that I don't know about.

I'm looking for healthy low-calorie complementary wet food to mix with kibbles - that doesn't add up the calories nor fattening for the dogs. I worry whenever I add meat - it adds up!

Or is there no such thing - I have to be careful when it comes to measuring how much I give to them.

Thank-you
Lessie

P.S I've looked into Applaws - not all of them have high % of meat. Only the chicken breast I think.
Roger Biduk
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Hello Leslie, All you mentioned seem to have no harmful ingredients except very high in starches.
Because of almost no moisture, usually 10% in kibble, kidney disease and CRF become a factor.
Wet, grain-free, low starch is better while a balanced, enzyme-rich raw meat diet is infinitely superior with 75% - 80% moisture. Good luck, Roger Biduk
lessie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Sorry but I have to ask - what is CRF?

I agree with the concerns/factors you've mentioned, that is also why I add wet to their dry, but I don't want to cause too much imbalance in their diet.

Is high amount of starches bad for dogs? Does this also contribute to weight gain?

Thank-you
Lessie
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2013, 10:26 PM
I use Arden Grange kibble for my dogs and complement it with their Partners range of tinned food, alternating with tinned sardines.