Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 01:05 PM

liver

i have recently started feeding my dog raw meat, veg etc how much raw liver would you feed? shew is 11 month old cocker
Thanks
ATD xxx
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2007, 03:26 PM
This might help:

http://www.dogsey.com/showpost.php?p=894878&postcount=3
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2007, 04:01 PM
The total weight of what I feed mine is 2-3% of their body weight. Archie gets 3% since he's skinny and Willow 2% since she's a good doer.

Of this amount around 15% is edible bone. I don't go by the term raw meaty bone, because what one person might think of as a MEATY bone might be BARE bones to another.

10% of their diet is organs, around half of this should be liver. (So 5% of overall diet.)

The rest is meat, heart, skin etc.

I don't aim for these %s every meal, instead aiming for it weekly. I don't bother with veg at all.

I find that liver is rich and can give runny stools, so add a little 3 or 4 times a week rather than giving a big bit in one go.

Willow isn't keen on it, I have found that she will eat it frozen though. Archie loves it.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2007, 06:57 AM
thanks for that she didnt touch the liver at all and thats a 1st for suki, so atm she is having ribs, chicken legs, apples carrots,apples, broccoli i am trying kidney tonight but i think she will leave that as well, it may be the slimy texture
ATD xxx
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2007, 07:57 AM
My two can be really funny about liver. What Ive now tried is cooking it rather than feeding raw and they much prefer it that way. I then cut it into tiny pieces and give as rewards.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2007, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
thanks for that she didnt touch the liver at all and thats a 1st for suki, so atm she is having ribs, chicken legs, apples carrots,apples, broccoli i am trying kidney tonight but i think she will leave that as well, it may be the slimy texture
ATD xxx
As Luz says, alot of dogs don't like the texture of Liver. Some (like Willow) eat it frozen, some like it lightly seared on each side (but still raw in the middle), zapped for a few seconds in the microwave, or simply pureed and poured over their food.

HTH
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2007, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
ATD xxx
Mine actually prefer liver to kidney One way of encouraging them to eat it is to 'flash fry' it first. You then decrease the amount of time you fry it for until they are eating it raw
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-07-2007, 11:06 PM
I have found that although mine wont eat it if its from the butcher or supermarket, but they will if its Halhal, maybe to do with blood content and freshness as this as only a very tiny bit of blood virtual nil so does not smell as strong and from slaughter to shop is within 1-2days.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2007, 11:15 PM
My lad isn't bothered - he'll eat it any way it is served.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2007, 11:57 AM
My boy eats it no probs but my girl is fussy with liver kidney and even heart *shakes head* she still gets it all though one way or another...

Bit of a trip when you think in the wild it is all considered the most desirable for the alpha.

I can imagine Keena in the wild if she was an alpha she'd be like 'no it's ok you have it' lol
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >