Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hectic Springer
New Member!
Male 

12-06-2006, 09:55 AM

Slug Pellets

Hi all

Ok it may be that i am a little paranoid however my 14 week old springer accompanied me to a family bbq yesterday round my mum and dads, they have a nice garden but have but slug pellets down to protect their plants.

He came out of the garden chewing on a slug (he'll eat anything)

This morning he seems quite lethargic and not his normal self, he was very busy last night due to alot of people giving him loads of fuss. He has not vomited or had diorehha (spelt wrong).

Has anyone has experiences with this? we are taking him to the vet this morning as a precaution.

Thanks
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Awww he is probably just tired from his hectic time last night but like you say its better to be safe than sorry. Your vet will probably need to know what type of slug pellets they were so you will probably need to find out - I think there are some that are pet friendly so they might be okay.

Keep us informed how he is
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2006, 10:05 AM
Aww sorry to hear this Hectic, pretty sure he is just pooped from the exciting BBQ, but always worth a check to the vets !

Our Next door neighbours have just put slug pellets down everywhere, very annoyed with them at the moment!

Oh and welcome to Dogweb by the way!
Hectic Springer
New Member!
Male 

12-06-2006, 10:05 AM
Hi

Thanks for the reply, he was busy last night and it may be because the weather is so hot, he is on his way to the vets as we speak so will keep you posted.
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Besides the slug pellets, slugs themselves can be dangerous for dogs to eat due to the risk of them infecting the dog with heartworm.

Please be vigilent and do not allow your dog to eat slugs/snails if at all possible.
Hectic Springer
New Member!
Male 

12-06-2006, 10:46 AM
Hi all

Just to let you know he has been taken to the vet and checked over and everything is ok.

We have to monitor him over the next 24 hours and see what he's like.

He's now off down the beach for a little walk, on the funny side, when he gets excited he pee's a little bit, first person he saw when he came out the vets was.......a traffic warden.

Sorry mate!

Will let you know how he is
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2006, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Hectic Springer
Hi all

Just to let you know he has been taken to the vet and checked over and everything is ok.

We have to monitor him over the next 24 hours and see what he's like.

He's now off down the beach for a little walk, on the funny side, when he gets excited he pee's a little bit, first person he saw when he came out the vets was.......a traffic warden.

Sorry mate!

Will let you know how he is
Ooh thats great news - I am sure he will be okay.

Yes my dog used to do that little trick when he met someone when he was a puppy - one of my neighbours stopped to stroke him when he was out with my daughter when he was a puppy and he promptly weed all over her shoe He still does it a little bit now with people he doesn't know or trust.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-06-2006, 11:04 AM
Sorry i caught this a bit late....im glad your springer is ok, i wouldnt worry too much though, Ralph (13 week old Springer) usually eats everything and hes allways fine, think they are just mentally and physically very ressilliant (sp) as a breed.
One questions on this thread-someone mentioned heartworm, i didnt think we had that in the UK
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

12-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Slug pellets are high;y toxic to dogs & other animals as well.
I won`t have them near my place.

Heres a link for alternatives

http://www.cat.org.uk/news/news_rele...KUdatarq=20850

ps I`d probably keep him quite for today just to make sure he`s OK
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-06-2006, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by Luke
Sorry i caught this a bit late....im glad your springer is ok, i wouldnt worry too much though, Ralph (13 week old Springer) usually eats everything and hes allways fine, think they are just mentally and physically very ressilliant (sp) as a breed.
One questions on this thread-someone mentioned heartworm, i didnt think we had that in the UK
The UK has a different type of heartworm to that which is commonly found throughout Europe. The link I posted above is a little out of date now but suggests that vets are seeing an increase in cases of heartworm in particular areas of the country. Thankfully, it would still seem to be pretty rare but it's always good to be aware of these things
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >