Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 07:06 AM

First upsetting walk...*rant*

Well, it's my first time having a walk like this, and hopefully my last!
I walk Axel every day before work, he doesn't need long walks and his stamina is still poor. I google-mapped my area this morning to find new and exciting places to walk him. I found a 'hidden' little park (more like a large garden with a poo bin and bench) just 2 streets away. Jackpot! I merrily walked Ax at 6.50am to find it and passed a man standing with hands on his hips in his driveway with a dog behind him. I guessed he was just waiting for me and my dog to pass.
As there was no dogs/cats at the park, I let him have the full length of his lead to explore and enjoy himself. He had a great time pottering around and sniffing.

As we left the 'park', thinking how lovely it was to have found somewhere he likes for the mornings, the same man was standing on the corner again hands on hips. I crossed the road thinking his dog perhaps didn't like other dogs.

He suddenly shouted across the road "Did you clean up after your dog?" To which I could honestly reply "Yes". (I keep my poo bags and keys in my bra for the early morning walk). He then went into a long rant about how that 'park' was for residents of the local area only, and as part of neighbourhood watch he kept an eye out as "everyone always" comes with their dogs from "all over" to use that area as a toilet. I can understand his frustration, but I felt quite told off. There was NO sign that I could see stating it was for residents only, it wasn't gated off or anything. He went on for about 5 minutes ranting about this and that, and said he's had lots of problems. I explained I just wanted to walk my dog before work and I always pick up after him. He asked where I lived and I told him the street, he informed me there's a 'big' park up there (no there isn't). Surely a dog is allowed some variety?!

Anyways, sorry for the rant, it just really upset me, and now I can't even use that bit of grass for a walk, if all the areas round me are like that, then soon it'll be just street walking in the morning At least I know he gets a nice walk with the dog walker and with us at night. (Trying to do several small walks building up his stamina)

Thanks to anyone who made it this far - summerizing isn't my strong point! Am I wrong to be upset? I may be just over-sensitive, tell me if you think I am!
Melanie
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 07:26 AM
Sorry to hear about your walk...I wouldn't let that man get to you and I would still use the park as and when you feel like it..after all you pay your taxes don't you, so you should be entitled to use the local amenities.

If you are worried, you could always phone up the council and check whether it is council owned land.

(and if you meet someone else like him, personally I wouldn't tell them where I live, I'd just something like 'round the corner' and if they pressed just say 'for my own security I'm not telling a strange man where I live!')

As you say, if it really was private gardens, there would've been signs up.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 07:30 AM
I agree, sounds like a public area to me. If it has a poo bin it must be council owned, therefore a public place. You take your dog wherever you want and ignore the nosey neighbour guy.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 07:31 AM
i think this is a case of a man with far too much time on his hands !!
I assume he stands there all day waiting for dog walkers to rant at.. Probably find he is a miserable old git.

Ignore him, unless it specifically says that its private ground then he can do absolutely nothing to stop you walking your dog there !!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 07:37 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I agree, sounds like a public area to me. If it has a poo bin it must be council owned, therefore a public place. You take your dog wherever you want and ignore the nosey neighbour guy.
good point

You could always put a pair of headphones in if you have to walk past him again
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 07:48 AM
Thanks guys! makes me feel better. I will check with the council to be 100% sure and so I've got 'proof' that I can walk him there.
Good point Hali, I won't tell anyone again, I don't normally, but let's just say he caught me by suprise!
I bet he does just wait there for dog walkers, if I see him again I'll just keep walking, maybe even just smile at him. If he says anything again, hopefully I'll be prepared this time!
I think I'll take my husband there with me tonight. Maybe he's chicken and just picks on women alone!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-06-2010, 07:54 AM
Oh I am sorry. I agree he sounds like a miserable old g*t with too much time on his hands he has probably lived there so long he thinks he owns it.

I personally would ring the council and go there again if they say it is a public place and if he starts again would tell him you have checked you are entitled to walk there and carry the number with you so you can smugly say ring that if you don't believe me and check for yourself.

If I stood by the walk through onto our field and told everyone that it would take up my whole life there are a lot of people I would rather not see over there and they do not clean up after their dogs, but I have a life unlike him by the sounds of things.

His attitude would of been a red rag to a bull with me and I would have too check so I could throw it straight back at him. I am sure it would it of said if it was residents only or private which I believe it is neither.

I am getting riled on your behalf here.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 08:01 AM
What a jumped-up stupid & small-minded little man!! Who does he think he is?! He doesn't own this park & you or anyone else is perfectly entitled to walk your dog there if you want to. As long as you pick up, what's his problem?

If it were me, I wouldn't have told him where I live either but I understand how you were caught on the hop. If you see him again, I suspect that if you stand up to him, calmly & politely, he'll back down. Bullies don't like being made to look small & stupid, let alone shown to be wrong!

Personally I would just say to him that as far as you are concerned, this is a public park for the use of the public. It's none of his business where you live & how far you travel to use the park. If he persists, ask to see his credentials as the park warden. Although seriously, if he does persist to harangue or bully you again, I would ask him for his name (you already have his address) & say that you intend reporting him to the police & the local council for unwarranted & intimidating behaviour.

Please don't be put off using the park ~ small-minded bullies should not be allowed to get away with this sort of behaviour ~ it will only make him do it all the more!
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Oh I am sorry. I agree he sounds like a miserable old g*t with too much time on his hands he has probably lived there so long he thinks he owns it.

I personally would ring the council and go there again if they say it is a public place and if he starts again would tell him you have checked you are entitled to walk there and carry the number with you so you can smugly say ring that if you don't believe me and check for yourself.

If I stood by the walk through onto our field and told everyone that it would take up my whole life there are a lot of people I would rather not see over there and they do not clean up after their dogs, but I have a life unlike him by the sounds of things.

His attitude would of been a red rag to a bull with me and I would have too check so I could throw it straight back at him. I am sure it would it of said if it was residents only or private which I believe it is neither.

I am getting riled on your behalf here.
Me too! People like that make my blood boil. I'm also feeling very cross & hoping that he'll get his comeuppance soon!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-06-2010, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
Me too! People like that make my blood boil. I'm also feeling very cross & hoping that he'll get his comeuppance soon!
We need all the Dogsey peeps to turn up over there. Shame it is so far away for some of us.

I would love too take him on.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >