Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 08:30 AM

Took ben camping with us.

first time we have been away for almost 5 yrs and needed a break.
so packs up all of bens stuff. food new bowls, and 4 new balls.
he loved it. loads of walks on the beach. making sure the nasty wet stuff didnt go any where near him (he hates water big time), first morning i woke up and found the tent zip open. thinks the zips dodgy and the wind opened it (yea well it was early and i hadnt had a coffee lol) also i had woken up feeling dreadful bad throat temperature ect. so later on had a nap. woke up in a panic NO BEN!!! he had opened the zip up.and was just outside looking around. so we realised that ben had been taking himself off for a midnight stroll, there was another little dog lurking around. so think he had found a play mate.
but he had a lovely holiday. (better than i did anyway)
he does enjoy camping. normally hes attached to a long line so he can only go so far.
think he enjoyed the BBQ as well.
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Oh how lovely! I used to love camping and took my previous dog with us all the time. He loved it, and would sit outside the tent watching the world go by.

He used to open the tent zip by shoving his nose at the bottom of it and forcing his head through - fortunately the zip survived!

Glad it went well for you
dreamaday
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-06-2010, 09:24 AM
Sounds fantastic, glad you had a good time.

We are considering taking Jasper camping next month to an old lakeside haunt. I am somewhat worried though as he DOES love the water, he can be like a bull in a china shop and has no qualms about getting through/over barriers.
I have visions of him making a dog shaped hole in the side of our small tent, or shredding the zips, helping himself to the lake and coming back to tell us all about his escapades!!

We used to go with Poppy our old dog, she was an amazing camper, so careful, never opened the zips or crashed into the canvas, bless her.

eta. forgot to add, last time we went, we met some campers who had taken their cat (I also took my cat camping once!). Their cat would let itself out and wander round the site quite happily. I overheard some other campers in the shower block talking about a cat stealing their chicken! apparently this cat had pushed its way through their zip and nicked the chicken!! lol
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2010, 09:48 AM
Camping with dogs is great fun.
We recently took our 3 to a beach campsite it was brilliant.
Two adults two kids three large labs in a four birth caravan . It worked fine though and i was very proud of my youngest bouncy boy who was very well behaved. Apart from the early 6am dog walks it was perfect. Been able to enjoy the beach when no one else is around is bliss.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 07:02 PM
I think camping is perfect for dogs. We've taken Tilly a few times. One time we camped in the new forest. We were setting up the tent when we realised she was no longer with us. There was a large open plain beside us covered in ponies and cows. When I looked, madam was running from pony to pony trying to get them to play. There was no malice in her at all, I think she just thought they were large dogs! Luckily they all just ignored her but she was on a long line the rest of the weekend, just in case!!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 11:04 PM
oh that sounds great!
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 06:17 PM
other than me falling ill and the horrible weather. ben had fun. even bought him 4 new balls. he didnt know which 1 to go to first.
hes been a horror since we have been back, left him for an hour. and he chewed on his hip. so its back to washing and putting cream on. and wearing that damm lamp again.
wasnt happy at all with him.