Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2010, 02:59 PM

RSPCA Australia.... your views.

I dislike the rspca here. BUT....never thought that the 2 organisations were related except in name. However having watched them on TV myself I have found that they too, are all nicey nice when the camera's are rolling
we have members here from Australia and I am interested to know what they think of their rspca as well as our uk members.

I saw this on another dog forum.
And I´m not talking about the UK´s RSPCA based here but RSPCA Australia.

Last night I happened to catch a programme called RSPCA Animal Rescue on a digital channel - Living.

Rather than the usual stuff it was a repeat of a film made a year or so ago showing the aftermath of the appalling Victorian bush fires which killed people, wildlife, farm animals and pets.

The film showed pets that had miraculously survived when their owners had to escape the inferno leaving them behind, and wild animals too, like kangaroos and wombats - many of which were too ill to make it.

It was a very moving and interesting film, especially when the family collected the badly injured cat they thought had perished.

Yet when i was reading about the show on the internet I see this posting:-

" . . .Seven Network´s RSPCA Animal Rescue is nothing more than a blatant public relations exercise to maintain their image as a "caring" organisation seen to be doing good.

RSPCA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) Animal Rescue is a “factual programme” which is supposed to give viewers a close-up look at the RSPCA’s work and care towards animals. It claims to be an “observational documentary” but experienced farmers believe RSPCA Animal Rescue contains more fiction than fact.

The RSPCA said they were helping injured wildlife and reuniting pets with owners. Some inspectors even checked for animals at the wrong address! Actually, it was the local vets tended to most of the injured animals. . . "

The article then goes on to say:-

" . .RSPCA Animal Rescue does not show their inspectors bullying and intimidating farmers (particularly the elderly) whom they assume are unable to fight back, or have the means to do so. . "

The article goes on to refer to a case where senior figures in NSW RSPCA who were also lawyers, were involved in RSPCA prosecutions. Apparently Member for Barwon, Kevin Humphries, recently complained to New South Wales’ Independent Commission Against Corruption [ICAC] regarding RSPCA prosecutions . . .

I dont know anything about Carolyn Cash, the person who wrote the article, but its obvious as to where she´s coming from. Isn´t it strange that the RSPCA in Australia generates the same sort of hostility as it sometimes does in the UK. What is it about animal welfare that generates such hatred?
this link is also like a blog started here about the rspca.
http://www.sosnews.org/rspca/
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2010, 03:12 PM
I'll admit I didn't know about any of this! But I did find it sad that in that show, the dogs go through a temperament test and if they fail, they are pts. No attempts made to overcome any issues. I saw an episode where a woman gave up several animals and sent one bitch, whom she obviously cared for greatly, knowing that it had dog aggression issues and would be pts after its temperament test - which it was.

Seems such a shame to me. I know there may be cases where the dogs do have issues which cannot be overcome but I would be hoping that at least some of them would be given a chance!?

Sorry that this is slightly off topic to the OP but its what has been niggling at me whilst watching the show!

Sarah xoxo
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-06-2010, 07:13 PM
I only started watching the show a few weeks ago & I have to say that I was dubious too, although at first I wasn't sure whether it was due to my dislike for the UK RSPCA.

One thing I found disturbing is the amount of cases of animal cruelty on the show where the RSPCA has supposedly already known about the cruelty & allowed the owner to keep some or all of their animals & then obviously not checked up on them. They then go back to check on the owners when the cameras are on, find the animals living in the same conditions & yet still let the owner off with a warning again... ridiculous!

Another thing I find worrying with the show is the way in which they often send abused animals back home with their owners... one such case was where they found a dog who was in need of medical attention, no owners home (despite having left a note the day before) whom they then took & treated at their centre. Throughout the show they kept going on about how the dog was in a bad state etc. and yet they still let it go home with its owner without a proper explanation as to why he had left the animal in such a state when all he needed to do was put a very cheap cream on its wounds.

Sadly I'm starting to think the RSPCA in Australia is just the same as the RSPCA here.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2010, 07:32 PM
I think the RSPCA has somewhat lost its way as it has grown bigger. I imagine that when it was much smaller it probably did better by animals than it does now.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by Sarah & Mike View Post
I'll admit I didn't know about any of this! But I did find it sad that in that show, the dogs go through a temperament test and if they fail, they are pts. No attempts made to overcome any issues. I saw an episode where a woman gave up several animals and sent one bitch, whom she obviously cared for greatly, knowing that it had dog aggression issues and would be pts after its temperament test - which it was.

Seems such a shame to me. I know there may be cases where the dogs do have issues which cannot be overcome but I would be hoping that at least some of them would be given a chance!?

Sorry that this is slightly off topic to the OP but its what has been niggling at me whilst watching the show!

Sarah xoxo
i know what you mean! i also hate when they have starved dogs, they do a temperament test when they are still all skin and bones! and they do that food test, they could at least give them a chance to gain some weight and get to a point where they arent always hungry! that pees me off so much. thats not specific to that programme, coz i have seen them do it in almost all of them!
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 10:27 AM
ohkay, I have seen the show, and it looks like RSPCA are all feel good stories and happy endings, but it is a TV show 30mins (incl ads) but what are they going to put on?? There failings?? Them getting angry and trying to talk some sense into some owners who have hoarded dogs, cats and other animals?? They aren't going to give them up easily or see the error in their ways all the time. Some of the conditions the animals are living in are no better than puppy farmers we all hate. I would say, yes they would have to raise their voices or threaten them with legal action.
I don't think they are the best but certainly not the worst and from what you talk about in the UK and the RSPCA there, there are similarities but differences as well.
Yes they put animals to sleep and don't always have resources to deal with behavioural issues.
The numbers are staggering more get pts than rehomed, that figure is saddening but where do all the dogs go if they didn't get pts?? They would need an infinite number of kennels and resources, no I don't like the fact they get pts but it makes me angry the BYB's the puppy farmers.
As for some of the culling issues that doesn't go down to well either that RSPCA have been involved in.
I wonder what would happen if the RSPCA didn't exist?? I think the animal world would suffer even more IMO