Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-09-2016, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by burrpenick View Post
Still have not heard from Blackcoat owners- I guess they are a rare breed. Yes, I must go see the dog but right now my wife needs to be on board first.

George
Never heard of a black coat.....maybe that's why you have not had a response .
burrpenick
New Member!
Male 

08-09-2016, 07:35 PM
Maybe someone will now tell me about the breed in general, or a mixed one as surely this rescue is due to the size. Thanks!
CrazyDogLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2016, 07:37 AM
Do you maybe mean Flatcoat Retriever? I occasionally walk an older girl and she's lovely - still acts like a pup! Her owners comment on her absolute love of food and quite dizzy attitude.

Not sure if her exact age but she's over 10 I think but her hips are now going and they've had touch and go moments over this last year.
burrpenick
New Member!
Male 

09-09-2016, 02:21 PM
How about some comments from owners? Are they healthy, long lived? Thanks, George
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-09-2016, 02:50 PM
Well none of us own one so that's tricky.
http://fcrsainc.org/about/index.html Flatcoat retriever club of America there is a health section for you to read.
Plus a list of local clubs for you to contact for further information.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2016, 03:58 PM
Have you looked at working line Golden Retrievers?

Flatcoated Retrievers are very prone to cancer I believe, so definitely something to research.

http://pedigreedogsexposed.blogspot....tcoats-to.html
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-09-2016, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by burrpenick View Post
Still have not heard from Blackcoat owners- I guess they are a rare breed. Yes, I must go see the dog but right now my wife needs to be on board first.

George
I have had flatcoated retrievers for quite a number of years (don't know what you mean by blackcoats) and I would say that from what I can see of the pictures whatever is in there you have a very nice mix with possibly flatcoated retriever mixed in there. It's hard to tell without actually seeing the dog live, but I would say that - subject to the temperament being OK - you could have a fine dog there. You will immediately know if there is flatcoated retriever in your dog, usually they are extremely friendly, licky and fussy around humans. Might take a bit of time if the dog has been in rescue, but eventually the exuberant, happy go lucky temperament of a flatcoated retriever will come out. They just can't help it. It looks like quite a young dog and the beautiful coat of the flatcoated retriever comes along with maturity.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-09-2016, 02:36 PM
I just noticed you asked about health and, although flatcoated retrievers are a generally healthy breed they do have some problems with cancers. Two of mine were affected at quite a young age (about 7 years). Do your homework is the best thing I can say and make your own mind up. One thing, if the dog you are considering is a mix you could well minimise the risk of cancers. However, like human beings all dogs are susceptible to something at some time in their lives. Quite often it is luck of the draw more than strategy when choosing.
Edited to add:
I would assume that as the dog you are considering is a mix and of unknown lineage that none of the normal health testing and certification associated with pedigree dogs has been done anyway, e.g. eyes, hips, etc. In this case, as long as the dog is fundamentally healthy, I don't think I would worry about longer term things like cancers - just concentrate on the temperament and if you like what you see I would go for it.
burrpenick
New Member!
Male 

27-09-2016, 01:58 AM
We adopted Stargazer a week ago. She looked like the pics and her description was pretty much correct too.........maybe I liked her looks so much I tuned out the 'doesnt get along w/other dogs?".She is pretty typical puppy, so she may be a bit younger than the 1yr estimate. Supposed to be about 1yr old spayed female, Flatcoat retriever mix. I dont really think the FLATCOATS are very common in TN where she was born; I had asked what you guys though of her mix..... she is solid black and looks VERY much like my last Golden Ret, but smaller and lighter. She weighted 38 lbs and was about 22.5" at the top of the shoulders. However, she has a LOT of hunting instinct in her.........as in smelling for rabbits, CHASING etc. Only BIG issue now is that she is very aggressive to other animals, especially dogs (we found that out TOO WELL!). We are trying to work with her on the basic commands first, and then HOPE to work on the aggression toward other dogs. I am scared since she seems so adamant and that habit is probably one of the more difficult to alter. Now I am wondering if she is perhaps a mix of say a LAB/Golden/and maybe a Springer Spaniel? Any and all suggestion on how to work with this fighting instinct w/b GREATLY APPRECIATED. She seems to be very nice w/humans.....so far anyway. George
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6676.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	5241  
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2016, 07:59 PM
A lot recommend Patricia Mconnell's 'Click to Calm' in respect of aggression.

I've not read it, but I know a number of trainers that have who like what they see

Your dog is beautiful. Such a sweet look to her
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2