Our sister sites
Our sister sites
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2006, 12:46 PM

Dog car harnesses??

Hiya,

I bought Gadget an AA dog car harness on sat but it was too small so am taking it back (how on Earth is he not a 'medium'??! if he is supposed to be a 'large', then I'd love to see what an actual large dog is supposed to wear )

Anyway I was just wondering a bit about car harnesses... can the dog still lie down/move around freely or do they have to sit in the same position all journey?

Does anyone recommend a particular make/design? I bought the AA one on a whim and it was only about £4 at Costco but if its not a comfortable design then I'd rather spend more on a better one
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 01:07 PM
i have hi-craft car harness' and use them with a special seatbelt adapter(that doesn't come with it),both of mine can lie down/sit up if they want.i have a staffy who has a large and a staffyx also in large,i bought them both a new harness last week from millets and both are in a medium and that is on the smallest setting best bet is if you can take your dog with you
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Thanks Kelly!
I'm gonna write down all of Gadgets 'vital statistics' for future use!
Gadget is a Staffie X so I assumed he would be a medium. The 'large' said 'eg Dalmatian' so I thought that would be way too big but I suppose Gadget does have a very deep chest.
Im glad he will be able to lie down cos he usually likes to look out of the window for a little bit then curls up and goes to sleep :smt007
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 02:49 PM
To be honest all i've done was get a £4 seatbelt clip from ebay and then use her normal walking harness (from PAH about £8.00) Now i've got two seatbelt clips so that she can just jump into either car with her harness on
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 02:52 PM
We have the Hi-craft one for the lab's it's a large and plenty big enough. They are quite mobile with is on but still safe.
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2006, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by skjerstad View Post
We have the Hi-craft one for the lab's it's a large and plenty big enough. They are quite mobile with is on but still safe.
Ive seen your doggies in their harnesses - its one of my favourite pics!
The AA one was quite similar looking.
Paul G.
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-09-2006, 04:08 PM
Mine's an ANCOL, cost less than £10 I think. Well made, works OK, dog can lay on seat or sit up but not move about much, which of course is the idea. Only criticism is that its a bit of a fiddle to put on :- left leg through, this bit underneath, that bit goes round there, two clips etc. I got the medium size for my Border Collie but its only just big enough.
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2006, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by Paul G. View Post
Only criticism is that its a bit of a fiddle to put on :- left leg through, this bit underneath, that bit goes round there, two clips etc.
Tell me about it!
Gadget decided to let his whole body go limp & keep rolling onto his side... made it a nightmare! It didn't help that the harness was actually too small though!
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2006, 04:34 PM
the AA harness makes the dog sit in the same position all the time. If it tries to move around it will get tangled up in the seat belt. The Hi-Craft ones are far superior although they do cost a little more. I have one of each and deef lies down and sleeps with the Hi-Craft one and constantly gets tangled with the AA one. The idea is to keep your dog safe and secure in the car, not much use if you have to keep stopping and untangling them:smt002

petplanet sell the hi-craft ones, I got mine from a pet shop in penrith but not many shops seem to stock them

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product_g...id=15&pg_id=35
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 04:38 PM
i have an ancol one too.. thay were about £8 each. The small fits Mia.. lhasa x dachshund.. weighs about 6kg. I bought Freya the large.. Northern inuit.. approx 20kg currently. It wasn`t on the smallest adjustment when we got.. and could be expanded a lot more. It is a little fiddly to put on, to begin with.. but you get the hang of it. They both can sit, stand and move about a bit.. not enough to get in the front seats though.. the purpose we bought the harnesses for.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >