Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
doggirl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-02-2011, 09:41 PM

Urban foxes

has anyone heard of a fox "stealing" a dog? i live in an inner city the are not scared at all, one actually plays chase with one of my dogs. i was told of a lady whos yorkshire was taken by a fox from the garden, neighbours gave chase as the wee dog was squealing but to no avail the dog has never been found has anyone heard of a fox taking a dog?
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Fox's are oppertunistic hunters and scavengers a little yorkie would make a nice bite sized snack. Insure you never leave food out fox's they are very bright and can fend for themselves the reason they have no fear of man is because people leave food out for them. Its very possible but they mainly preasent a problem for chicken/poultry owners.

In all honesty I hate fox's and dont like people encouraging contact with them since fox's are mange ridden and carry many diseases and spread them as well they are unhygenic and destructive not mention carry a horde of parasites from fleas to tics which dogs can easily get.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 11:38 AM
carry many diseases and spread them as well they are unhygenic and destructive not mention carry a horde of parasites from fleas to tics which dogs can easily get.

Just like rabbits, hedgehogs, feral cats, tortoises, birds etc they ALL do the same! As well as other dogs and cats and of course humans!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 12:22 PM
My sister's neighbours cat actually sits beside the foxes around their area - I think foxes are like dogs - each is different..
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 01:52 PM
I feed our foxes daily. It keeps them from eating the local Yorkie population......
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
I feed our foxes daily. It keeps them from eating the local Yorkie population......
Excellent post!

(inner city garden)
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by doggirl View Post
has anyone heard of a fox "stealing" a dog? i live in an inner city the are not scared at all, one actually plays chase with one of my dogs. i was told of a lady whos yorkshire was taken by a fox from the garden, neighbours gave chase as the wee dog was squealing but to no avail the dog has never been found has anyone heard of a fox taking a dog?
The whole point of the matter is why was a tiny dog left in a garden unsupervised /alone long enough for a fox or indeed a human predator to steal - when ours are out in the garden, they are watched until they come in again & ours are Boxers!
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 02:29 PM
We get a few of them around here - never heard of any issues with the local dogs or cats (even my mum's mogs who roam the woods by their house make their way home unscathed - and there's lots out there).

I just find them beautiful to watch when they appear in our back garden.

Same with us on the supervision front - can see the dog through the patio doors if he ever IS out in the garden and we're not (not likely - he doesn't like the great outdoors without the people around) - needs to be supervised in case he's digging an escape tunnel to Australia in the back lawn more than anything else!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Not good.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
Fox's are oppertunistic hunters and scavengers a little yorkie would make a nice bite sized snack.*

In all honesty I hate fox's and dont like people encouraging contact with them since fox's are mange ridden and carry many diseases and spread them as well they are unhygenic and destructive not mention carry a horde of parasites from fleas to tics which dogs can easily get.
If, when you get a dog, how are you going to cope if your dog rolls in fox poo, cow pats, maybe catches a flea, needs wormed, maybe picks a tic up, throws up in front of guests & breaks wind!!!!

We, the human species are guilty of taking over wildlifes ground by building on it as we spread further & further out *Opportunists & scavengers - perhaps but only because mankind have made them so, they have adapted to live alongside & among us

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >