View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2015, 09:06 AM
Kenny hello ... i am so relieved that you and harvey are ok ... well, harvey is not ok but oersonally a diagnosis of epilepsy is preferable to that of a bt.

harvey's behaviour at the vet's is perfectly understandable. He was so traumatised at being separated from you when he is so unwell caused him to shut down. My hal used to do this ... the first time he had to have an overnight stay in the vet he refused to eat or drink and only our vet could attend to him, the vet nurses wouldn't go near him. Wgen i collected him he growled at me and refused to have anything to do with me. He lay in our porch for 3 days and 2 nights only drinking water and would growl at me every time i tried to get him outside. My oh took him out for his daily walks. He came around of course and forgave me but i learned a lot from that experience. Harvey's initial reaction to you was completely normal and you must not feel bad about it. He still adores you, he had just shut down.

Your new vet seems to be much better than the previous one. I hope harvey settles down on his medication and you get the rest YOU need. I had a bloodhound with epilepsy and although he did not behave anywhere like harvey i know how terrifying the episodes are. I wouldn' worry about the excessive sniffing btw ... i think this is all part of having to go away from you. Some dogs are like this and it is very unfortunate but sometimes they have to be hospitalised and there is no choice. I am typing this on my samsung galaxy so apologies for the lack of punctuation and typos!

Best if luck kenny and hugs and xx from Ben and me xx
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-03-2015, 09:25 AM
I ment to say the green poop is normal after meds - so not something to worry about.
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-03-2015, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
New vet sounds really good and I too was surprised that "BT diagnosis has been made based on only one seizure and no recent or up to date blood work." Then I'm not a vet.

Sending you both love and healing x
Hi Bobble

Thanks for the post and kind thoughts.

Until Harveys seizure I had no experience of canine seizures or Brain Tumours but I was never happy the old vet didnt really seem to do any tests on him when I took him in.

I am much happier with the new one, he seems genuinely interested in Harvey's welfare
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-03-2015, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
I ment to say the green poop is normal after meds - so not something to worry about.
It did look quite alarming at the time but his movements seem firmer now and not such a bright green...
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-03-2015, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Hi Kenny just catching up, try to stay positive and rests when you can..
Hi Meg

Thank you and good advice
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-03-2015, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by KennyUK View Post
Is that wrong of me?
No! Of course not! You want to see your boy better. As do we all!

It sounds like Harvey is feeling better, happy to be home with you and enjoying his dinner, which is a very good sign. Don't worry if it takes him some time to get used to the medication. These things take time to work and time for your dog to settle in to them, and it will take time for your new vet-- who sounds great-- to get to know Harvey better. I'm also glad to know that you're looking after yourself as well. This is super stressful, so do take care of yourself as well as you can.

Don't worry if you have to be firm sometimes. You may hate it, but Harvey is probably still feeling confused and weirded out, both by the seizures and by the effects of the medication. It will help him if you take charge. He can do what you say and not have to worry about what he might or might not want to do-- he may not even know. You're obviously not the sort of person who would order him around in a mean way, so don't feel bad about it. Be strict when you need to, or when you feel he needs your direction. He knows you love him and you're looking out for him.

I am wishing you good things and sending you and Harvey lots of love!
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-03-2015, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Kenny hello ... i am so relieved that you and harvey are ok ... well, harvey is not ok but oersonally a diagnosis of epilepsy is preferable to that of a bt.

harvey's behaviour at the vet's is perfectly understandable. He was so traumatised at being separated from you when he is so unwell caused him to shut down. My hal used to do this ... the first time he had to have an overnight stay in the vet he refused to eat or drink and only our vet could attend to him, the vet nurses wouldn't go near him. Wgen i collected him he growled at me and refused to have anything to do with me. He lay in our porch for 3 days and 2 nights only drinking water and would growl at me every time i tried to get him outside. My oh took him out for his daily walks. He came around of course and forgave me but i learned a lot from that experience. Harvey's initial reaction to you was completely normal and you must not feel bad about it. He still adores you, he had just shut down.

Your new vet seems to be much better than the previous one. I hope harvey settles down on his medication and you get the rest YOU need. I had a bloodhound with epilepsy and although he did not behave anywhere like harvey i know how terrifying the episodes are. I wouldn' worry about the excessive sniffing btw ... i think this is all part of having to go away from you. Some dogs are like this and it is very unfortunate but sometimes they have to be hospitalised and there is no choice. I am typing this on my samsung galaxy so apologies for the lack of punctuation and typos!

Best if luck kenny and hugs and xx from Ben and me xx
Hi Gnasher

Thanks for the lovely post and yes, I'll take epilepsy over BT.

Sorry to hear about your Hal, sounds like he was letting you know how he felt.

I think your spot on over Harveys behaviour at the vet and he does hate going to any vets.

He finds them quite stressful places, lots of people in waiting rooms, other dogs wining, cats meowing, strange people.

He is not a town dog at all and needs a peaceful homelife.

Lets face it, none of our furry friends ever go to a vets for a pleasure visit, and they always get themomitors in places they really should not go, pricked with needles or poked and prodded. Little wonder any of them are calm when they go there.

I do feel much happier with the new vet not least because he is being pro-active and seems very genuine.

Harvey has stopped the sniffing now and is on to wanting to out, so i let him out and within 45sec he barks to come in. I let him in and with 2 or 3 minutes he's asking to go out again and on and on.

He's been doing it for about an hour and a half now.
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-03-2015, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by Strangechilde View Post
No! Of course not! You want to see your boy better. As do we all!

It sounds like Harvey is feeling better, happy to be home with you and enjoying his dinner, which is a very good sign. Don't worry if it takes him some time to get used to the medication. These things take time to work and time for your dog to settle in to them, and it will take time for your new vet-- who sounds great-- to get to know Harvey better. I'm also glad to know that you're looking after yourself as well. This is super stressful, so do take care of yourself as well as you can.

Don't worry if you have to be firm sometimes. You may hate it, but Harvey is probably still feeling confused and weirded out, both by the seizures and by the effects of the medication. It will help him if you take charge. He can do what you say and not have to worry about what he might or might not want to do-- he may not even know. You're obviously not the sort of person who would order him around in a mean way, so don't feel bad about it. Be strict when you need to, or when you feel he needs your direction. He knows you love him and you're looking out for him.

I am wishing you good things and sending you and Harvey lots of love!
Hi Strangechilde

Thanks for the post and kind words.

I think your right about taking the lead (no pun intended), Harvey has always been a follower and normally is no trouble what so ever (not that he is now bless him).

I only ever speak firmly to him when I can't break an obsessive cycle by any other means like distraction games, or just giving him some fuss.

Thanks for sending the good things btw
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-03-2015, 08:22 PM
Today Harvey has been showing signs of getting his confidence back which is so good to see.

He wanted to go on his full walk this morning and was trotting on ahead in front and generally being himself.

He is obsessing a bit on food but that's a medication side effect and I just give him things like a carrot or half a pear.

He spent the afternoon in the garden alternating between snoozing in the sun and just inspecting his kingdom and only a few times did he come looking for me wanting fuss.

He even took himself off to his bed for a nap while I stayed in the garden which is something he would not have done two days ago (he honestly looked at deaths door when he had that funny turn on Thursday).

I was more anxious about him than he was and I admit I did sneak into the house to check on him twice.

He also wanted to go on another long walk this evening and seems to be getting a spring back in his step.

I know full well one more seizure and he will be back at the beginning again but it was so lovely to see a little of my old Harvey today, more for his sake than my own.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-03-2015, 08:29 PM
That's excellent! Hopefully the medication will get his seizures under control, or at least lessen the awfulness of them. Keep on as you are-- I can't imagine you could be doing any better for Harvey!
Page 12 of 62 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »