Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jcarpentier
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2012, 05:09 PM

Thinking about getting a Halti

I am thinking about getting a Halti head collar for my dog after reading through some of the posts in this forum. My dog has a major pulling problem and as we are getting another puppy soon we want to get him out of it. It seems I've tried everything...start and stop, change direction, and unless I am doing it wrong, nothing works. So what is your experience? Thanks, Jessica
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2012, 05:39 PM
Good luck Jessica, I'm sure you won't regret it. Just make sure it fits properly and securely.
I had a Greyhound x Collie once who was totally uncontrollable without a Halti, no matter what I did.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2012, 05:43 PM
I use Haltis too, mine aren't too bad on the lead most of the time but if they see a pheasant they go mad, I find it much easier to hold them. I always link mine to a collar.
Jcarpentier
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2012, 05:45 PM
How do you know what size Halti to get...I was thinking a 2 for my greyhound/lab as he is about 57-60 pounds.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2012, 05:49 PM
I recommend the padded Halti - more comfortable for the dog. You could maybe take your dog to a Pets At Home and ask to try the size you think is the right one?

The Dogmatic headcollar is also fab - if you email them they will advise you re size.

Remember you must never use a headcollar along with an extending/flexi lead - really dangerous for the dog.

Also when using a headcollar, never jerk the lead, it can damage the dog's neck.

Good luck - I use a headcollar with my Lab and it makes a massive difference!
Jcarpentier
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Thanks. I found the size chart on the internet per breed and they recommend a 3 for both breeds.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Just be aware that a halti isn't a magical tool that stops pulling. I've used one with 3 dogs who have continued to pull on it and am introducing it to a 4th who will probably do the same.

For me the Halti is a management tool. I only use it when I don't have time to insist on a loose leash or when I want to get somewhere my dog can have a bit of freedom. I do my training for loose leash walking on a regular collar.

You also need to introduce it over a period of time, not just put it on and expect the dog to tolerate it. I used this method with mine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wakterNyUg
Bella2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2012, 08:55 PM
I use mine on and off, thought bella was getting used to being off it but back on again.... I alternate, using it more as a training method to stop the pulling. I have recently used it for starting the walk, once she has been off lead, good run etc she goes back on normal lead home and walks much better
RinTinTin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2012, 09:59 PM
I've used a Halti, a Dogmatic and a GenCon with my GSD and have found the last to be the best.

It's robust, doesn't need fitting (one size fits all - I've used the same one for my terrier on occasion) and doesn't irritate him as much as the other two.

But every dog is different and most headcollars give the handler better control so you've got nothing to lose.

Good luck.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-04-2012, 11:00 PM
I find Gentle Leader head collars to be much better for most dogs than Haltis.

They only have two loops, one goes behind the head, the other round the muzzle and both are individually adjustable so easy to fit to size.

Unless very small or enormous, most breeds fit a medium.

Dogmatic are usually good but relatively expensive.