Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 02:50 PM

Quail

This is going to sound very odd.

I am considering buying Quail for the garden, I want them as pets and for their eggs, and possible breed for the table too (I know that may gross some folk out) and while thinking about it, I was wondering if Quail would be suitable for dogs to consume as part of their RAW diet?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Yes, the only drawback is their size (minute) and their cost!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 02:59 PM
hmmm, I was thinking of bantams, but garden is too small for that...They are fairly cheap to buy (as pets) and farily cheap to feed...plus Id know what the dogs are getting.

Would I be able to feed the whole bird (innards and all) or would it better to peel?
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 05:22 PM
I've fed quail and bought it from the supermarket so it was prepared. Like SB says, their small size compared to their cost is an issue but obviously only if you have to purchase them.

I'd just feed the bird whole same as I do with pheasant, pigeon and day old chicks (although you'd be hard pressed to prepare day old chicks anyway!)
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 09:05 AM
oooh...you feed chicks...how did they go down? I bought Kerrie a rat once, and she point blank refused ( i even tried smearing it in marmite!)
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 01:32 PM
PMSL!!! KB you are FABulous!

my boy was chaisng a rat across the garden the other night not sure what he would have done if he caught it to be fair.

My friends fella is a pheasant farmer and on his shoot they do a 'walk up' shoot at the end of the season and dispatch any birds that are left over as its not cost effective/practical to feed them through the winter, maybe you could make friends with a local gamekeeper?. Am told quail are a bit daft and not overly hardy so id prob plump for chickens or something you get decent eggs then the dogs get a substantial dinner
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 01:34 PM
You do not want to encourage your dogs to eat rats, then you get them killing them,eating them and perhaps contracting Lepto, yuk!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 01:42 PM
ooooh...didnt think of that SB...thankies.

Yes, Quail are a bit stoopid if kept in the wrong enclosure...I have made enquiries into a group of quail (one male and three female) if nothing else, I will get eggs out of them, and cool pets too!

Are chicks worth feeding? (as in Chicken chicks!)
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 02:01 PM
I would prob say so more as a treat? I wouldnt think the meat to everything else ration would be enough for a 'staple' diet? that would be just my assumption though
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 04:30 PM
hmmm...might order some with my Leos food next time I need some and see how it goes...Might have to get the marmite out again tho me thinks!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >