Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2008, 09:07 AM

How noisy is your dog?!!

What breed do you have and how much and what sort of noises do they make?

Weird question, but i do not know about a lot of breeds and if they tend to be barkers or not!

Honey (lab) is VERY quiet, she sometimes "talks" to me if she wants something but NEVER barks...Think i have had two woofs out of her in two and a half years!!!!

Looby (gsd x) is fairly quiet too, but sometimes barks if someone is at the door or if we say "walkies", but thats about it.

Suits me cos couldnt stand a dog that is constantly barking!

But know it often depends on the breed or even the way they have been brought up ie. do rescues tend to bark more?? I dont know......tell me your dog noises please!!!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2008, 09:50 AM
Well, our old Kip (rescue border collie, now at the bridge) didn't bark at all for the first 3 years we had him - we were amazed when we finally let out a single bark. After that, he would bark very occasionally.

Hoki (another rescue border collie), again she doesn't bark very much. When we first got her, she would bark at other dogs, trying to frighten them away, but she doesn't bother now. She'll bark if she gets really, really excited (e.g. if you are playing with the water pistol with her) but will stop when you tell her.

Hoki is a real growler though - she growls more than any other dog I have ever had. But to be fair to her, she had been used to living in a lot of pain/discomfort before we got her and she'd got away with growling as a way of being left alone (at least so I assume). She would also growl if you went near her when she was eating. Again, she doesn't do it so much any more, it's only when she is sore, rather than when she just wants her own way.

Stumpy (most recent of the rescue border collies) - she's the nosiest one so far - will bark at the doorbell, sometimes at people walking past when she's in the garden, at other dogs on walks (though this is lessening). But even she doesn't just bark and bark and bark - none of mine ever start barking just because they can hear another dog in the village barking.

my favourite noise of Stumpy's though is her 'woo woo' greeting where I'd swear she's trying to imitate the 'hellooo' i always say to her
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2008, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post

my favourite noise of Stumpy's though is her 'woo woo' greeting where I'd swear she's trying to imitate the 'hellooo' i always say to her
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Mo "woo woo's" too in an almost human voice. She does this to every dog and human she meets
In doors she is very quiet, we never hear a sound, unless the post man comes
In the garden she is also quiet.........unless a pidgeon dares to land on her lawn or a cat dares to walk through, then it leaves quicker than it arrives
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Betty BC barks every morning when my OH leaves for work, it sounds like shes saying "Don't Go", both dogs bark when the bin men come, and Brinley barks when the postman comes, and comes running to tell me there is post!Brinley always barks when the doorbell goes, and sometimes gets confused at doorbells on the television and barks and runs to the windows, and we have to say its all right its on TV.
chaosjoey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Chaos (NI) never barks unless she's playing with OH. She does make wolfy howling sounds when it's time for dinner or walkies.

Joey (rescue rottie x) used to grumble when he was getting used to the new sounds of the house and people walking past, etc but now he hardly ever barks.

He can bark a very "manly" bark if he needs to though!! He did this the other night when we were out. I was waiting for OH to get a kebab on the way home from the pub and was standing with both dogs minding my own business when a drunk man approached just to walk past. Joey took total exception to this and went mad! He would not stop barking until this bloke had cleared off!
DalaiMama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Archer (Pointer) barks for a moment or two when I go out, I think he is saying "you forgot me mum!" he stops when I am out of sight though. He barks at the postman and anyone knocking on the door but I have taught him "quiet!". He does this amazing singing though, I can get him to do it by saying "siiiing", I think its the Foxhound in the breed, he rumples up his face and throws his head back, it amuses me no end and we sing together (my poor neighbours ) My daughter begs us to stop... He also 'speaks' on command, but he never quite got the hang of it and its a wimpy little woof!

Rosie (Staffie) hardly ever barks, does a little "cough" if she hears someone outside at night or another dog comes into our front garden.

Archer does have a big boy bark if he hears something at night and he did once bark at a jogger who ran up behind me unexpectedly and once when a man ran out of the bushes - I have no idea what he was doing in there and I am not sure I want to know
DalaiMama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Mo "woo woo's" too in an almost human voice. She does this to every dog and human she meets
In doors she is very quiet, we never hear a sound, unless the post man comes
In the garden she is also quiet.........unless a pidgeon dares to land on her lawn or a cat dares to walk through, then it leaves quicker than it arrives
I read an article on a scientific study that said dog's do copy their owners voices and dogs from different areas of the country have different 'accents'.

We had a Springer when I was a child who used to copy my sister and me and he used to make a noise like 'mum', a lot of people don't believe this and I don't think for one moment he actually knew what he was saying, but I am absolutely sure he did copy the sound that my sister and I made calling our mum.

He was the first dog of ours that I remember and its only since I have had lots of other dogs I realised how bright he was. He was a great dog to have as a child, he used to love games of hide and seek and we used to dress him up and play vets with him. He also used to like a bowl of tea and used to throw his bowl into the kitchen when my mum was pouring the tea He knew each of us by name, so my mum used to say to him 'go and wake Jackie up' and he would bound up the stairs and jump on my bed. A clever boy and I still miss him.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Perhaps we should start a thread on what human words dogs understand!
I am sure Honey understands most of what i say!!!!!!!!!
DalaiMama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Well, a few of mine they pick out of conversation are:

I'm going to bed now - they run upstairs
better feed these dogs - hopeful looks and general excitement
Just popping out - they wait by back door
here comes Lucy (daughter), Archer barks and runs to door

Oh there are lots of things they understand alright
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >