Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 01:56 PM

keeping entire dogs and bitches

I was just reading Sal's thread and the comments on the logistics of keeping two dogs seperated. Rio will be due in season again in January, which was OK last season as Dandy was a bit young to know what was going on and I didn't need to seperate them. This time is going to be a nightmare though! Dandy is all man now!

I'm going to get a big crate and crate train him - I don't think it'll be a huge problem as he is quite accepting of things. They already sleep in seperate rooms too.

How do you others who have dogs and bitches manage????
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 02:31 PM
kennels, even thou he is in a kennel he may go mad once she is in season
ATD x
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 02:41 PM
All my dogs are kennel dogs, and Gracie and Misty live together, and Hamish and Blade have their own kennels. Hamish lives next to the girls, but he can't get to them, and doesn't dwell that they are in season, plus he's out on shoot days for most of the week, so he isn't down there, and Blade wouldn't know what to do, if given the chance!!

I just don't walk them together, it's either girls, then boys on a walk or vice versa. It is a nightmare, Gracie misses waking with Hamish and Blade doesn't run around as much when they aren't all out together, but we cope!

It's the same when Tilly is in season, I just walk her and Charlie seperatly.

I am lucking in that Misty and Gracie come into season within a few days of each other (they are in now)! and Tilly is not long after the pair of them! (This is just coincidence, Tilly doesn't go near the spaniels, she hates Gracie with a passion!)

xx
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Have you got any friends or family members that could take him for a couple of weeks (or at least the middle part when she is most receptive)? that might make it easier for all concerned, depending on his reaction of course. I'd be scared witless of having intact dogs and bitches together, but that is just me!
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2009, 02:47 PM
I will be having this very shortly as Meeka is due into season and Bugzy is entire.
What we did last time was in the day either caged Meeka whilst Bugzy was out playing, or Caged Bugzy whilst Meeka was out playing ( I had seperate beds and bedding etc to put into the cage when Bugzy went in so that he wasn't having to lie on bedding that Meeka may have dripped on.
Then as Soon as my daughter got home from school she would take Bugzy upstairs to her room to spend all evening up there (except coming down for wee breaks etc ).
Meeka and Bugzy sleep in seperate rooms anyway, Meeka is at the side of my bed, and Bugzy sleeps in my daughters room. Normally in the mornings one of my daughters will come and get Meeka and bring her downstairs, but when she is in season they are told to leave her untill I get up.
I dont have to worry about Bugzy getting hold of Aura as she has been speyed
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Have you got any friends or family members that could take him for a couple of weeks (or at least the middle part when she is most receptive)? that might make it easier for all concerned, depending on his reaction of course. I'd be scared witless of having intact dogs and bitches together, but that is just me!
This is a good idea.....
Just this morning a client was telling me that her mothers dog got to her bitch and they have a litter as a result....

They are breeders and have kennels etc so the dog is usually kept very apart but something gave him a window.........and he took it!!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 03:05 PM
i have no idea how people manage in a house... its something i am never going to do... i just couldnt. but all my dogs will always be neutered or spayed so would never be an issue for us lol
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 03:23 PM
i had this situation a couple of weeks ago (not through choice I hasten to add,Tango has been spayed because I just didn't want that to happen....) I boarded a 14 month old though who came into season whilst here.. She was only here for the first week thankfully...and Cosmo is just not interested...in fact he wanted her as far away from his as possible thankfully. Weird dog my dog
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post

I wish! He's massive though, and a Mummy's boy. If I lived closer to the breeder I'm sure she would have him coz he likes her, but she's five hours away!

Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
i have no idea how people manage in a house... its something i am never going to do... i just couldnt. but all my dogs will always be neutered or spayed so would never be an issue for us lol
Yep it's gonna be hard work, but they are show dogs and may be used for breeding eventually, so no neutering here!

I would love a kennel and run in the garden, but that would mean one of them being alone, and I don't think that's fair. It will be easier when I have another bitch to keep Rio company!
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I wish! He's massive though, and a Mummy's boy. If I lived closer to the breeder I'm sure she would have him coz he likes her, but she's five hours away!

Yep it's gonna be hard work, but they are show dogs and may be used for breeding eventually, so no neutering here!

I would love a kennel and run in the garden, but that would mean one of them being alone, and I don't think that's fair. It will be easier when I have another bitch to keep Rio company!
beter that than unwanted/ unplanned litter.
ATD x
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >