Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Aileen
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2005, 08:37 PM

Where to go next?

Hi,

We are starting to train Saffy, as a rescue dog we don't know how much she knew already, but we have got her to sit and give a paw (which we think she could already do), stay (both in and out of sight, in the house), speak and lie down. We are also recalling from the stay

We still need reinforcement but she is very eager to please and is picking things up really quickly. (we've only had her just about two weeks)

Her lead walking and behaviour are fine.

We are very proud of her already but we're looking for a little help on where to go next and what hints and tips you can offer.

We are keen for her to learn as much as she can whilst she is still reasonably young. (almost 15 months)

Aileen x
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-04-2005, 09:58 PM
This site might be helpful: http://www.dog-play.com/sar.html

Also there are quite a lot of books on training SAR, and a lot of references if you search Google for "search and rescue dogs"+training.
Aileen
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2005, 06:20 AM
ooops.

I think I may have misled you, my puncuation was never the best.

What I meant to say was that Saffy is a rescued SBT and we don't know what she is trained to do, we have been going through the things I mentioned above.

Thanks for the link though shadowboxer, there looks to be a lot of different activities i'd never even thought of.

We have been working on getting Saffy to search and rescue sticks - but it seems to be more search and destroy.

We are just teaching her basic obedience at the moment and as i say she is picking it up really well but are unsure how to progress.

I'm now gonna go and learn how to punctuate properly

Aileen x