Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
She should NEVER of been put in a position ALONE where a large dog could attack her, its a disgrace! Ive managed kennels for 16yrs and there is no way on this earth any part time staff/students etc.. would be put in such a position. its VERY different if its me or my bosses but never ever a student!

So the dog refuses to take its meds, what then KW? What do you do when the dog deteriorates? How do you treat him? How can you get him to a Vet?

i edited and expanded my post quickly, already covering your points.

from the info given, i dont think this actual GSD was dangerous per se, just a stressed dog trying to create some distance between itself and OP.

meds should be done outside, where/when dog is happy (according to OP) .
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 09:01 PM
these situations do arise(in my job too) but you should never be ALONE.
i agree with the post above.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
these situations do arise(in my job too) but you should never be ALONE.
absolutely
AgilityDog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Have you seen my reply?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by AgilityDog View Post
Have you seen my reply?
yes, but it doesnt mention anything about someone being with you?
assuming that is what you are referring to?
AgilityDog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
yes, but it doesnt mention anything about someone being with you?
assuming that is what you are referring to?
No sorry, i just meant in general, no there where other workers in the kennel block but i was alone in the kennel.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Meant to add, if a dog gets ill because its meds cannot be administered, the insurance will NOT cover it, they do not cover pre-existing conditions.

Trouble is you need a trusting relationship with some dogs in order to handle them in ways they don't like, and a stressed out dog ina strange place isn't going to trust you.
This is true and why it can make things difficult sometimes.
Ace_Animals
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Interesting topic of conversation - I used to work as Kennel Assistant at a Boarding Kennels and relatively frequently found myself having to deal with "difficult" dogs. Be it aggression around the lead/collar or indeed "kennel guarding".

Like you, I often found myself having to deal with this on my own. By bosses were fab and would never make me do anything that I didn't feel comfortable doing but I do recall a time when they were away on holiday, having left me in charge, when a customer brought in two Rotties whom were soft as muck initially but turned aggressive (guarding the kennel to the point where we're talking about jumping up snarling, frothing at the mouth, deep growling, snapping at the bars, etc). Funnily enough, they were soft as muck again out of the kennel block.

Sadly most kennel assistants don't get paid much (if anything!) above minimum wage but are often left in situations like this to deal with them on their own.

I would like to see a time when this doesn't happen but alas I don't think it will ever happen.

It sounds like you already do the right sort of thing (not showing any fear, not making much eye contact, etc). Good luck in future.

And, my biggest tip is to get the dog(s) out of the kennel ASAP to administer drugs, etc. Works a treat usually. If that still doesn't work then a Vet is required - they get paid more money to get bitten
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-07-2009, 06:07 PM
LOL.

and then when the vet turns up they get you to hold the unfriendly end of the dog anyway!

as most british vets and vet nurses have pretty poor handling skills and are easily scared.

now, antipodean vets over here on work experience - they are a different kettle of fish
oldshep52
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Hi, on a general basis you may find Barbara Sykes book on aggression an interesting read and also one of her TLC courses may be useful to you.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >