View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2005, 09:43 PM

Having problems with dog going through weave poles - any tips please?

Aaaahh!!!! Weaves
Do any of you have a problem with weaves. I've been doing agility with Skye for nearly a year & we still can't master the weaves. Its going to be a very slow process.
Do any of you have any tips or storys. I just need a glimpes of hope, that one day Skye will run freely through the weaves.

Jules X
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-12-2005, 12:15 AM
What is the problem with the weaves Jules? Will she go through them with you beside her and guiding with your leg and hand? Depending on the problem you may need to go right back and start again with just four poles.
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2005, 10:04 AM
Hiya Jules,
What method have you been using?
There are lots of different ways to teach the weaves so if you let us know which way you've been doing it we can maybe suggest a different way On the plus side my young kelpie has been missing the second pole for the whole season but the winter training appears to be paying off
Hazel x
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2005, 04:20 PM
Hiya!!
Right where do i start..... I have been training Skye on the training weaves. I know a few people who against these as they like to do the normal one first but with only 4 poles. We have been using these for about a year
Shes fine with these but she really needs to be doing the normal ones now. i think its a case of i don't like them, which probably discourages her.
When i do put her through them she has no idea. I use my arms & legs to guide her through. She does seem to 'switch off' lately, especially when we are doing a box jump. If we do a clean run she's great. So i think the problem is also her 'switching off'.
Shes brilliant with my voice, so i really use it to encourage her & try & keep it all exciting. I train her using a tennis ball.
So any tips & ideas would be truely appreciated!!

Thanks
Jules XX
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2005, 05:07 PM
Hi Jules - by training weaves do you mean channel weaves? or just slanted? ... Other than Ziggie who I trained by using the channal weaves and who has had to be retrained using the following way anyway all of ours have been trained in the "traditional" manner... anywho, i'll tell you how we do ours and then you can give it a go if you like, start off with three poles so you're asking for one "in" and one "out" movement from her (this also provides ample opportunity for encouragement and excitement which leads to faster weaves) have her on a leader and guide her through the three poles by placing your feet against the frame for her to go away from you leaving the space open for her to come back, use the leader and your body to work her and do not try and bribe her with food or her toy, she needs to concentrate on the poles to be able to weave and understand what she's doing and having a toy or treat infront of her nose will only prevent her learning what it actually is you want her to do - after all you're not trying to teach her to follow your hand... once she is through the poles then give her the toy and lots of praise... it would be easier if you have or could borrow some poles as it's best done for short regular intervals After she's doing the three you can gradually add on more poles until shes doing a set of twelve, We are always careful to add an additional "in/out" movement each time as that is the action "weave" you've taught her - but that depends on the person... We've taught all four of our "agility" dogs this way and have helped friends with weave problems that sound similar to yours (collies, kelpies, labradors, mixers, spaniels and GSD's)- it's surprising how quickly they pick it up and understand what it is your asking them to do, we have had four dogs who love the weaves and in three cases its their favourite obstacle! (the lab prefered the water jump but we havent seen one for years!) and our youngest puplet Moses (ESS) started learning weaves 8 days ago and with two ten minute sessions a day is now doing eight poles off lead and thoroughly enjoying it!

Hope that makes a modicom of sense if not i'm sure someone else will be able to explain it better, if you have any questions just ask

Let us know how you get on

H xxx

just edited to add a couple of pics of Zigg weaving can never resist a chance to show my handsome man off!!!

Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2005, 05:25 PM
Thanks!!!! Sounds brilliant. I know Skye will improve using your technique. When you say a leader, is that the same as a lead? Sorry never heard of the phrase before.
I have some electric fence posts in the garden which i can use.
I've always used the channel weaves.

I will look forward to trying this as it sounds more fun!

from a very grateful Jules XX

Love the pics
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2005, 05:29 PM
with the electric switched off right?

sounds good

Yes a leader is the same as a lead - damn my northern dialect

Glad to help

H xxx
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2005, 05:33 PM
I bought electric fence posted as they have the same priniple as weaves, but are alot cheaper

Thanks for your help, i'll let you know how we are progressing!

Your a star!!!!! :smt023

Jules X
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2005, 05:35 PM
very true very true

good luck