View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-05-2013, 12:16 AM
Thanks for that info. I have one of her older books and it is not really one I would recommend. Just wondered if the video was any better.
Agree she's very talented. I s'pose the Crufts judges agree too LOL.
Mala
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-05-2013, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
LMAO
To be honest I didn't rate the DVD for the price.

I found it dull and learned very little but that might just be me as there is no question, she is a talented trainer.
On that basis I have just ordered "Happy Dogs...Happy Winners!" to see if there are any tips I can pick up.

I asked the guy I am training with about Mary Ray's training techniques. He said he couldn't really comment as the dogs just seem to do what she wants, as if by magic! It would be hard putting that in a DVD.
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by Mala View Post
On that basis I have just ordered "Happy Dogs...Happy Winners!" to see if there are any tips I can pick up.

I asked the guy I am training with about Mary Ray's training techniques. He said he couldn't really comment as the dogs just seem to do what she wants, as if by magic! It would be hard putting that in a DVD.
I have that book. It's a while since I read it. It's not like many of my other dog training books, which get read over and over again.

Clicker Training for Obedience by Morgan Spector is a good one. In fact I picked it up again today when I was looking for something to read in the garden.
Mala
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-05-2013, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by egroeg View Post
Clicker Training for Obedience by Morgan Spector is a good one. In fact I picked it up again today when I was looking for something to read in the garden.
Yes I've got that one!

At least "Happy Dogs" is only costing me a penny plus postage. There may be something in it worth reading.
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Good for you I seem to remember having a hard time finding mine as I think it was out of print.
obbie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-05-2013, 04:24 PM
I would be interested to know how you get on with the books/dvds, I don't think I could work out the excersizes without someone telling me how to do it.
I think it would be hard to get the precision without someone else s feedback.
But that might just be me being dim.

Have you attended any shows yet?
Its a great way to socialize your dog if they are young, and a great place to train against distraction.
obbie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-05-2013, 04:50 PM
I would be interested to know how you get on with the books/dvds, I don't think I could work out the excersizes without someone telling me how to do it.
I think it would be hard to get the precision without someone else s feedback.
But that might just be me being dim.

Have you attended any shows yet?
Its a great way to socialize your dog if they are young, and a great place to train against distraction.
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-05-2013, 08:29 PM
I wouldn't bother with Happy Dogs, Happy winners,
I don't trust anyone who thinks you need to physically put a dog into the sit or down position. If you need to do that, you may as well just give up.
Mala
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I don't trust anyone who thinks you need to physically put a dog into the sit or down position. If you need to do that, you may as well just give up.

Well, Shane, my copy of Happy Dogs, Happy Winners arrived in the post today and I'm happy to report that it's exactly worth the penny I paid for it!

It's a relic, with a really old-fashioned feel. It sent me back to trawling the internet to find a competition obedience class, and once again I came up with nada (sigh!).
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-05-2013, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by egroeg View Post
I have that book. It's a while since I read it. It's not like many of my other dog training books, which get read over and over again.

Shane
Well, Shane, my copy of Happy Dogs, Happy Winners arrived in the post today and I'm happy to report that it's exactly worth the penny I paid for it!

It's a relic, with a really old-fashioned feel. It sent me back to trawling the internet to find a competition obedience class, and once again I came up with nada (sigh!).
Yup, have to agree but it had already been ordered for 1p before I remembered it was in my library, and a once must have book. Need to get rid of some old books.
Now then, where do they go? Cannot possibly send them on to charity shops. Nope, maybe burn?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >