Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2004, 04:25 AM
She's cute Gordon Lover. Good luck with whatever you decide
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2004, 07:31 AM
I've actually been to those sites before and I had them bookmarked.

I have shown that one to them and some other sites where it tells of breedings gone wrong. But my mum says that these things are not likely to happen. So now I have my mum and sister giving me the cold shoulder.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-06-2004, 09:56 AM
Kate, I believe you said you have a breeding/showing mentor. Would your mother & sister repect his/her opinion on the matter? If so, could you get him/her to have a talk to them and point out that the proposed breeding is really not a very good idea?
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2004, 10:10 AM
Nope they wouldn't, I've asked him already.

He's discussed it with them and they still say that as Rotties have bigger heads and bodies there will naturally be a bigger risk of them having problems in whelping. They think that as Lucy is a smaller dog and a mixed breed she won't have those problems.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

22-06-2004, 10:38 AM
Oh dear. Looks as though you might be in a no-win situation here.

Can you get your vet on side? Have you observed any problems such as mild little siezures when no one else was around. Not suggesting you tell fibs of course

If all else fails it seems that you will just have to do the best you can for Lucy & any pups.

Sorry, but the attitude of your mother & sister does make me very annoyed as it is pure selfishness and total lack of consideration for the bitch & prospective whelps.
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2004, 03:50 PM
Don't be sorry at being annoyed at my mother and sister, as I'm as p*ssed off as hell at them.

I'll try my best to persuade them not to do this, but if they do decide to breed her against my advice, I will keep you updated.

Thanks Shadowboxer, and everyone else of course.
Anonymous
Dogsey Junior

22-06-2004, 09:18 PM
As we all know, all pure breeds are manmade - they were designed by people. But they were designed with a particular aim in mind. All dogs had to be good at their job, or they weren't kept.

If you go ahead with your cross, what would be your aim? I'm assuming the prospective stud has the qualities you want the pups to have - and isn't carrying similar hereditary problems?

Can you get unregistered dogs hip-scored etc in Switzerland?
Chloe
Dogsey Senior

22-06-2004, 09:29 PM
JG - you can get any dog hip checked - even if not registered - just not scored But you know that already
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2004, 09:58 PM
Yes we can. Any dog in Switzerland can get his/her hips, elbows, and eyes checked.

What I would be aiming for (I say I and not my mother & sister as they only want puppies, and I am in charge of the finding of the stud and the mechanics of the breeding and whelping) is in body a square dog, athletic, with a terrier-type build, with hair that borders between a poodle's and a schnauzer's. In the head I would be aiming for a nice square muzzle, alert round eyes as dark as I can get them, button ears, and a intelligent expression. The tail should be carried over and resting on the back and should be well feathered. I am looking to breed a dog which could be a only a pet, but could also be a good agility and flyball dog.

Lucy does have some faults from my point of view, she doesn't have a very well sprung ribcage, and from time to time she shows a "stilted" walk.

The studs I have chosen are good where Lucy is slightly defecient, and also good where she is good, they have good hips and eyes.

By my calculations, Lucy should come into season sometime in July or August (she's not predictable), so I don't have much time left if I want to breed her this season.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

23-06-2004, 02:05 AM
Kate, in your position I would wash my hands of the whole affair. Against good advice they have decided that they want to breed Lucy. OK. Let them find the stud, supervise the mating, attend the whelping, look after the pups, etc. I know this would be hard, probably impossible for you as you have Lucy's welfare in mind, but honestly why should you take so much resposibility for something that you are totally opposed to?

If it does go ahead I just hope that there are no large dogs in her, or the stud's, background, and that you do not have cause to say "I told you so".

Sb
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >