View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2008, 05:10 PM

Do You Think It's Best To Have a "Slow" or "Fast" Dog?

I've been wondering this for a few weeks now as both my dogs do agility and are at opposite ends of the scale when it comes to their enthusiasm.

Dont get me wrong, Jed loves his agility but he's a very slow, cumbersome dog. He's also very lazy and will not jump the high jumps unless poles are placed beneath the top one so he cant just go under. Although he is slow and wouldnt get a fast round if we competed, his sedate place allows me thinking time, time to correct potential errors and also ensure he's gets the contact points so he would probably get a clear round.

Flynn on the other hand is like a bull in a China shop and flies at everything 100mph. As a result, he's done each obstacle in a flash and my thinking has to match his physical speed which is very difficult to do! This obviously means if i'm not keeping up, he doesnt necessarily take the correct route round the course. He also misses the contacts because he flies at things that fast that he just leaps onto them. I know this is ultimately down to training and he's only into his second course of 8 weeks but it's very difficult to get him to concentrate, take things steady and generally handle him in such an environment.

It got me thinking whether I would prefer a slower, steadier dog or one which had the speed and motivation. With Jed, I have to try and wind him up but with Flynn I have to try and keep things calm but I have to say, Jed is the easier dog to work with.

What are everybody else's experiences and which do you think would be a better dog to compete with?
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I've been wondering this for a few weeks now as both my dogs do agility and are at opposite ends of the scale when it comes to their enthusiasm.

Dont get me wrong, Jed loves his agility but he's a very slow, cumbersome dog. He's also very lazy and will not jump the high jumps unless poles are placed beneath the top one so he cant just go under. Although he is slow and wouldnt get a fast round if we competed, his sedate place allows me thinking time, time to correct potential errors and also ensure he's gets the contact points so he would probably get a clear round.

Flynn on the other hand is like a bull in a China shop and flies at everything 100mph. As a result, he's done each obstacle in a flash and my thinking has to match his physical speed which is very difficult to do! This obviously means if i'm not keeping up, he doesnt necessarily take the correct route round the course. He also misses the contacts because he flies at things that fast that he just leaps onto them. I know this is ultimately down to training and he's only into his second course of 8 weeks but it's very difficult to get him to concentrate, take things steady and generally handle him in such an environment.

It got me thinking whether I would prefer a slower, steadier dog or one which had the speed and motivation. With Jed, I have to try and wind him up but with Flynn I have to try and keep things calm but I have to say, Jed is the easier dog to work with.

What are everybody else's experiences and which do you think would be a better dog to compete with?
Fast every time! I get such a buzz from running them even if it goes wrong. I would though get your slower dog checked out by a chiro to make sure there is nothing wrong as kel used to be slow but accurate like that and I never taught him directional commands because I could always keep up....... Then I had him straightened out and I couldn't get near him and that was very funny
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2008, 06:35 PM
I have had both too and prefer slow and steady Means I can keep up and find it easier to speed a plodder up than slow down a speedster
Gina&Jaz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-04-2008, 07:31 PM
I've only got a slow and steady, and I've never had a fast dog. One of my biggest problems is that I'm not particularly excitable and can't get Jaz wound up, whereas with a faster dog I think I might have a chance because I have a calming influence.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Well you know mine and Tegs problems already!!!
He's is so quick I'm not moving in time to send him where I next need him hoping this will come with time and I'll get better at directing him.
I never did agility with Joe but he was a slower dog generally, he was easier to make do what I wanted but I had to put so much energy and wind up into him where as Teg has the get up and go and gets me going because he's enthusiastic! So, I have more fun training Teg (thou I suppose more frustrations too )
Argh now you've got me thinking and I can't decide!!!
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2008, 01:44 PM
nic is like watching paint dry - but soooo accurate!!!!!

sam was amazingly quick - shed run past things - as she got better - we still were too quick tbh but she did get more acurate - we almmost won out of elementry (lol),, but i was so shocked at her ccuracy i stopped n she ran out - gutted!!!

sam was an amazing agilty dog - won me loads of placings,,,, too fast but what a dog...
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

16-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Personally I think somewhere in the middle. We have Kahn who is extremely slow and steady and will go clear in the most difficult of rounds, and the only time he gets placed is when there are very few clears. Then we have Zoe who isn't the fastest but much faster than Kahn, and is generally accurate. I've seen some extremely fast ones at class who very rarely get clear rounds but when they do they win. Zoe is going to get faster as she gets older, so I think she is the best of both worlds, will be a relatively quick steady dog, as we have been able to work on the accuracy without having a complete nutter