Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
perrypooh
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-06-2007, 09:27 PM

putting on the brakes-what to do?

okay people I have a small crisis, I have to show Maggie this wednesday and she's started to put on the brakes just before the end of the mat at ringcraft. She's started doing it since a show a couple of weeks back, someone sat with a rough collie virtually in the ring watching, plonked right at the end of the run, most dogs were refusing to go past it but nothing was said by the stewards. Anyway the problem is what to do now? should I drag her the little extra way to let her know it's not acceptable to stop when she feels like it or do I turn and add the command, make it look like we planned to do it that way? I'm hoping she wont do it at all as it will be unfamiliar ground and this one is an outdoor show on grass so not the same situation but if she did what would be the most professional thing to do? She's not frightened, does the rest of it beautifully just decides to stop and zig zag about at each end the little monkey
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2007, 06:39 AM
The late Polly started doing this a while back, just on the "away and back" part, she would stop dead a little short of the end, little madam. I decided to make it look as if I meant her to stop there and gave her the command to stand. If she had a glint in her eye and I knew she was being particularly defiant, I would turn her in a circle as soon as she stopped, confusing her slightly and edging her slightly closer to where I wanted her to be! Most judges thought it was a good idea to stop where they could get a good look at her standing instead of having a dog practically on their feet!
And judges can always move!
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2007, 06:46 AM
Originally Posted by perrypooh View Post
okay people I have a small crisis, I have to show Maggie this wednesday and she's started to put on the brakes just before the end of the mat at ringcraft. She's started doing it since a show a couple of weeks back, someone sat with a rough collie virtually in the ring watching, plonked right at the end of the run, most dogs were refusing to go past it but nothing was said by the stewards. Anyway the problem is what to do now? should I drag her the little extra way to let her know it's not acceptable to stop when she feels like it or do I turn and add the command, make it look like we planned to do it that way? I'm hoping she wont do it at all as it will be unfamiliar ground and this one is an outdoor show on grass so not the same situation but if she did what would be the most professional thing to do? She's not frightened, does the rest of it beautifully just decides to stop and zig zag about at each end the little monkey
Personally I'd stop showing her for a month or two. No ringcraft - no practicing at home - nothing. IMO if a dog starts putting on the brakes the best thing anyone can do is give the dog time to get things out of it's head.

I have to say that if I was judging and you 'dragged' her - well let's just say it wouldn't go down to well. Dogs should enjoy showing. It's for their enjoyment as well as ours and if she's not enjoying it then I wouldn't do it for a while

Debs
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2007, 07:20 AM
You could also try throwing a toy onto the ground just past the mat to distract her and break the habit. No good in the ring I know but it may help.
Becky
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2007, 08:13 AM
I agree with Debs. I would (and have) left a youngster home where similar circs have presented.

It sounds to me as though the problem is of anticipation. The dog is anticipating what will happen next - and because it isnt keen (for whatever reason), puts the brakes on. You are now (consciously or sub consciously) anticipating it happening, and I would put money on you slowing down - even fractionally, in anticipation of the dogs stopping.

When you are both rested, and feel ready to start practising again, make that practise unpredicatable - ie, dont do a conventional triangle, try a reverse triangle, do a 'T', take her around but stop and have her stand randomly, then continue or take her round the other way etc.
If the dog isnt sure what the 'idiot on the end of the lead' (dont take it personally - its a phrase I use generally ) is going to do next, it is more likely to focus on (and trust) you.
Make it fun, and interesting.

hth
basi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2007, 01:57 PM
My bitch started to do the exact same thing because she new that we were going to stop so anticipated it. She use to also stop at the end of the mat going away from the judge as she new she was going to have to turn around which wasn't a problem though. I gave her time out of the ring and brought her back out a few months later and she was fine, so you could try that.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2007, 02:01 PM
She sounds a bright little soul & I doubt if she'll do it on Wednesday as she'll sense the difference between a show & ringcraft. I'd stop going up & down the mat at ringcraft for a time ask them if you can do something differentfor a few weeks & I think you should find she stops doing it. Also is there anyone at ringcraft who could take a turn with her as sometimes a change of handler can make a difference.
perrypooh
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
She sounds a bright little soul & I doubt if she'll do it on Wednesday as she'll sense the difference between a show & ringcraft. I'd stop going up & down the mat at ringcraft for a time ask them if you can do something differentfor a few weeks & I think you should find she stops doing it. Also is there anyone at ringcraft who could take a turn with her as sometimes a change of handler can make a difference.
I think you're right as she doesn't seem to do it as much with me as she does with my mum, and it is so far only at ringcraft its too familiar I think she just finds it all a little beneath her to do the whole up and down thing week in week out (she always has been a bit of a princess-no encouragment from us I blame the deansgate attitude! ) Plus the door is right at the end of the runway with people bursting in and out during classes it's perhaps not the best set up but it is the only class I'm aware of near us.

thanks everyone for the advice, I only mention 'dragging' her as another handler said it would be best not to stop as it would encourage her and she'd realise she got attention from doing it, it didn't feel right to put it into practice but as relative newcomers to showing you kind of believe that more experienced show people know best in these sort of situations.

thandi I said exactly the same to my mum as you regarding making it unpredictable, going ways she doesn't expect etc so glad I'm on the right tracks with that. She really is a good little girl at shows, like an old pro!I am predicting she wont do it at an actual show but just wanted info incase, thanks again everyone