Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rio
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2007, 06:09 PM

Showing Pregnant Bitches

Yesterday i was at a Companion Dog Show, i took Rio along as a training exercise she got Reserve Best in Show and Best Puppy in Show Which i was ova the moon as she showed herself beautifully.
Well While waiting for the rest of the Pedigree classes to finish this lady had entered a SBT into one of the classes and she was due to whelp in 4wks, you could see that she was pregnant and it was quite warm and humid aswell and this poor dog was being shown in about 4 classes(pedigree & novelty)
I do not know what your opinions are but i would like to hear your Views as i personally would not take a bitch in whelp out to any show as the risk to picking up viruses and infection are potentially high. I felt like saying something to the owner but held back as not to cause a potential scene:smt084. I must admit that the judge said nothing either apart from announcing to the rest of us that she was due to whelp in 4wks, i felt between a rock and a hard place :smt090
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 06:23 PM
WELL DONE WITH YOUR WIN AT THE SHOW!

Don't have a bitch myself but if I did and they were in whelp - NO WAY would I risk it - no matter what - not even if it was the best judge to be under and chasing CC or anything!

I know many breeders who feel the same - just not worth it !

Some people are so naive about these things that perhaps someone should say something - as long as put in a helpful way?
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Congratulations on your winnings, you must be so very proud of her

I don't take any of my dogs anywhere if I have a bitch in whelp, just in case any of them bring infection into the house too. I simply can't understand why people would risk being exposed to things like Kennel Cough, Enteritis and anything else that is likely to be picked up at shows.

No, I'm afraid its quarantine time here from as soon as the bitch has been mated until the pups go to their new homes, I probably over-react but I'm just too scared to risk it
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Same for me. Once a bitch has been mated she doesn't go to any shows. I have to say that apart from that she does live a normal life. I still take her out with the other dogs (until she gets too big for her own comfort, then she goes out on her own). I should point out that I walk them on private land so the chances of her picking something up are minimal but the other dogs still go to shows.

Debs

Debs
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 07:30 PM
I wouldn't take a pregnant bitch to a show, not because of the risk of infection etc as my lot still go out for walks up until they whelp but because she's hardly going to be in show condition being a bit tubby round the middle!
Also I would be more worried about heat exhaustion than infection.
Becky
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 08:49 PM
Well I'll admit to taking a bitch to a champioship show when she was 5 & a half weeks pregnant but I wasn't sure if she'd caught & everyone at the show including the judge said she wasn't in whelp, but if she'd looked in whelp or looked uncomfortable we wouldn't have been there.As it was at 7 & a half weeks people at the training class were saying what a pity she'd missed then she suddenly looked as if she might be, had her at the vets who said I think she has 5 or 6 where was she hiding them. She never grew huge or slowed down but at 9 weeks she produced 11 pups.
So I suppose what I'm saying is it depends on the circumstances but certainly not when they are showing they are in whelp, like the dog you saw that made you ask the question.
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2007, 08:26 AM
I dont take my bitches to shows once they have been mated - there will always be other shows.

I decided to forgo Crufts this year (despite knowing I the judge thinks very highly of my bitch) on the possibility she was in whelp...she means so much more to me than a bit of card and a dodgy rosette.

That said, I can only be responsible for my bitches and while it isnt something I would choose to do myself, everyone is different and they have to take responsibilty for the choices they make - and its not for me to judge them.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2007, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Also I would be more worried about heat exhaustion than infection.
Becky
i would be very worried about both

would NEVER take a bitch in whelp to a show what a crazy thing to even consider
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2007, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
i would be very worried about both

would NEVER take a bitch in whelp to a show what a crazy thing to even consider
i wouldnt take a bitch in whelp to a show,i agree with inca here,

congratulations on your wins xx