Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2013, 04:03 PM

Completely grain free dog foods

my pup has a very delicate tummy and seems he can't even tolerate oats that are often in gluten free foods (some even contain maize)

We tried Eden but I think the whole eggs are making his poo's extremely rank and he's started eating them. It's also chicken & fish based which I thought be a safer bet but maybe too much protein?

I'm looking for single novel protein foods with veg (potato would be acceptable too).

I'm trying Bob & Lush as I got money off voucher to try and settle his tummy so can re-introduce things but was hoping to find one cheaper than £40 for 7.5kg! .. especially if he gets through a bag a month (have older dog too that may end up on same to save buying two different foods)

I'm facing a much tighter budget due to changes in british benefits system (have progressive neuro condition so can't work) and having to pay for my extra room for medical storage equipment in my adapted bungalow.

I want to get as good as I can afford so hoping to find one just as good as the more expensive ones but better price.. maybe £40 is for 15kg which would last longer) or cheaper for 7.5kg.

no rice, oats, maize or any cereals at all in ingredients please..anyone else's dog need this too?

Edited to add: He's tried Wafcol grain free which got rid of spots on tummy and reduced itching but he still had runny poo's ending in severe liquid squits the longer he was on it and red eyes that were constantly runny.

Eden firmed up the poo's and cleared his eyes but the poo's were smelling stronger the longer he was in it, terrible breath and smell off him (similar to humans on Atkins) and he started eating his own poo's. It's also expensive and experienced negative customer support when tried to ask about the issue in their own support group.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-02-2013, 04:05 PM
Hi Kati ,Wafcol Salmon and Potato is I think grain free
http://www.wafcol.co.uk/wafcol-adult...od-range.php#1
Carole
Supervisor

24-02-2013, 04:07 PM
Arden Grange Fish and Potato is another Works out at around £40ish for 12 kg.
IanIOW
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Have a look at these two.
http://www.angellpetco.com/

http://www.fish4dogs.com/
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

redowl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-02-2013, 04:23 PM
My friends puppy had this problem and tried all manor of foods and treatments. In the end she went with Applaws Dry Food which is basically 70% Meat and 30% Veg, no grains etc and it solved the problem. Although the RRP is pricey there are lots of deals coming up online all the time. Plus you feed alot less of it than oridnary food.
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2013, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by redowl View Post
My friends puppy had this problem and tried all manor of foods and treatments. In the end she went with Applaws Dry Food which is basically 70% Meat and 30% Veg, no grains etc and it solved the problem. Although the RRP is pricey there are lots of deals coming up online all the time. Plus you feed alot less of it than oridnary food.
Thanks

.. and for those people who left links.. are these foods what your own dogs are on and how are they doing on them?

What are the poo's like? as I use long handled pooper scooper as wheelchair user... sloppy ones are a nightmare to try and pick up! .. was looking for some personal experiences of the foods too as there are now quite a few grain free ones about.

Thanks

Kati
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2013, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by Carole View Post
Arden Grange Fish and Potato is another Works out at around £40ish for 12 kg.
Thanks I'd looked at this just after found Eden first but it alos contains whole egg.. which I'm now wondering if will have the same problem with extremely rank poo's!
Meg
Supervisor

24-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Hi Katie I sometimes use Wafcol Salmon or Fish4dogs in combination with a raw meat diet. Poos solid and ok
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2013, 05:38 PM
When I had Mollie on commercial food we used fish4dogs, very good food we found suited her well. Now I cook for them but if I went back to cmmercail that would be the one I would go for.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »