Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirstyS
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
as is usual more dogs go out on the stays than any other part.

If you are working a dog other than a collie then you have to accept the fact that some judges cannot judge anything other than a collie! If you can cope with that you will do fine.
I compete with a tiny Jack Russell - it's quite funny when we're warming up and hear people saying 'Oh look - a terrier!'

Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Jed doesnt do the whole prancing along with his weight on my leg looking up at me and he doesnt get close enough (yet) to present with his legs through mine. Will these type of things be penalised by many judges then?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 05:41 PM
If you read the KC Rules & Regs on Obedience:- The G regs

In all Classes the dog should work in a happy and natural manner
but should not impede the handler and prime consideration should
be given to judging the dog and handler as a team.
The dog may be
encouraged and praised except where specifically stated.
Retrieve a Dumb-bell/Article.......................... It should return with the dumbbell/article at a smart pace and sit straight in front of the handler.
Recall from sit or down position at handler's
choice....... Dog to return smartly to the handler, sit in front,

No where in the R&R does it say the dog must look at the handler, lean on the handler, etc etc. The presents are to be infront of the handler so a dog whose paws are behind the handlers feet isn't "in front"of the handler.

IMHO the prancy high stepping bum waggling position is neither natural nor happy, it is a taught style & therefore markable.

Some dog do have a natural high stepping action(some Goldens for example)but these dogs do not swing their bums to compensate for the taught head carriage. I don't like it but it isn't markable.

The top handlers do seem to be teaching their dogs to drive upwards instead of forwards & this results in the unnatural head carriage. I've never seen a collie work sheep with it's head pointing towards the sky !
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
If you read the KC Rules & Regs on Obedience:- The G regs

[/COLOR]

No where in the R&R does it say the dog must look at the handler, lean on the handler, etc etc. The presents are to be infront of the handler so a dog whose paws are behind the handlers feet isn't "in front"of the handler.

IMHO the prancy high stepping bum waggling position is neither natural nor happy, it is a taught style & therefore markable.

Some dog do have a natural high stepping action(some Goldens for example)but these dogs do not swing their bums to compensate for the taught head carriage. I don't like it but it isn't markable.

The top handlers do seem to be teaching their dogs to drive upwards instead of forwards & this results in the unnatural head carriage. I've never seen a collie work sheep with it's head pointing towards the sky !
Thats interesting to read but I dont think many judges follow that. Tilly does heelwork ok but doesnt work close to my leg, she tends to work at a slight distance from my leg. But teachers at our training club say in theory she shouldnt lose marks as she is consistently out, not coming in and out to my leg. Her distance stays the same from my leg all the time. The same with retrieve and recall. She doesnt come right in between my feet but sits at my feet. But we do seem to get marked down. Dogs that work very close and recall into the handlers legs always seem to be placed above us.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Really ? That's not my experience, but then I'm a Border Collie owning judge.

There are actually few dogs that are leading going into stays that then break them. The dogs that break stays are usually the ones who are not in contention before the stays.

There are a good few judges who don't know how to judge properly & put loads of halts in the heelwork & then get enough to mark without having to judge the actual heelwork. Hopefully as new judges come along & do the two judging seminars this will become very much a thing of the past.

A lot of newcomers think of me as a "Collie"judge however my first love was & still is GSDs & I have all sorts of dogs winning my classes & doing well under me. The most noticable thing about the dogs that do well under me is that they work"naturally"without the head pointing vertically upwards & their front legs doing the can can, add to this the fact that I penalize dogs that do their presents with their front legs & paws(& sometimes chest)through the handlers legs.

I must obviously be going to the wrong competitions! In ALL stakes, from pre- beginner to Championship C more marks are lost for stays than all the other exercises put together. This is also the case in Working Trials!

All judges in ALL discplines whether it is breed showing, Obedience, Agility, Working Trials, HWTM etc have their own idiosyncracies and what will gain you marks under some judges, will lose you marks under others; that is the way life is.

It was the same in the horse world in dressage, many judges could not judge breeds other than warm bloods even though other breeds were doing the exact same exercises the movements were not as extravagant.

Some judges will penalise dogs for looking as though they are having too much fun, some for their prancing etc etc.

Some judges will take into account the fact that not all dogs work like BCs and some will take into account the fact that fluffy dogs don't reveal some things that shortcoats do!

I have very many friends who compete at the highest level in Obedience with various breeds and to whom I go for training so I know this to be so in addition to going to watch various competitions myself.

Hence my original post, you have to accept that one judge's meat is another's poison.

I know one Ob Ch who never had their front paws on the floor on recalls or retrieves!

There are many successful breeds in Obedience but at the top end it is heavily weighted with BCs, you only have to watch Crufts each year to see how many other breeds make it (or rather do not)
*Lorraine*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2011, 08:54 PM
I'm back doing obedience again after a break.
My funniest experience was being penalised for missing an about turn. The steward didn't call it as I "Was walking too fast for her to read" ???
This was with my GSD & I have to step out with him or he lags. I can still do pace changes though & it's never been a problem before 0r since.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 09:56 PM
I must obviously be going to the wrong competitions! In ALL stakes, from pre- beginner to Championship C more marks are lost for stays than all the other exercises put together. This is also the case in Working Trials! .................

Er In working trials if your dog moves at any time ALL points are lost in Obedience all tests have to have the points graduated.

In Obedience there are no "stakes"(other than special KCGC stakes)& in Pre-B to Novice total stay points are only 30(10/20)A & B-50(20/30), C70(20/50),failing scent costs a minimum of 30(30/40/50)

So if a dog fails it's stays totally in Pre B's it loses 30 out of 75 If it fails the DC it loses 50/scent points the same number as the down stay. In C it is far more likely for a dog to fail scent than to break both sets of stays & this is the case in most classes. I've had dogs in my Pre B classes that have lost all their stay points & still gained more marks than they have lost

I suggest you look at the marks available for each CLASS(not stake)to see that the stays do not form the majority of the marks.

In my last class(as a judge)I only had two dogs fail part of the stays(went down in the sit)neither lost more points than they did in the rest of the work they had already done.

Stays is usually the exercise that most dogs do fairly well.

Do you judge Obedience ? how long have you been completing & in which classes do you currently work ?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by *Lorraine* View Post
I'm back doing obedience again after a break.
My funniest experience was being penalised for missing an about turn. The steward didn't call it as I "Was walking too fast for her to read" ???
This was with my GSD & I have to step out with him or he lags. I can still do pace changes though & it's never been a problem before 0r since.
If the steward did not command you then you should not have been penalized, the judge would have intevened & corrected the steward's mistake.

You are working B & C then with the change of pace being part of the heelwork in these two classes ?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Er In working trials if your dog moves at any time ALL points are lost in Obedience all tests have to have the points graduated.

In Obedience there are no "stakes"(other than special KCGC stakes)& in Pre-B to Novice total stay points are only 30(10/20)A & B-50(20/30), C70(20/50),failing scent costs a minimum of 30(30/40/50)

So if a dog fails it's stays totally in Pre B's it loses 30 out of 75 If it fails the DC it loses 50/scent points the same number as the down stay. In C it is far more likely for a dog to fail scent than to break both sets of stays & this is the case in most classes. I've had dogs in my Pre B classes that have lost all their stay points & still gained more marks than they have lost

I suggest you look at the marks available for each CLASS(not stake)to see that the stays do not form the majority of the marks.

In my last class(as a judge)I only had two dogs fail part of the stays(went down in the sit)neither lost more points than they did in the rest of the work they had already done.

Stays is usually the exercise that most dogs do fairly well.

Do you judge Obedience ? how long have you been completing & in which classes do you currently work ?
Er actually you are incorrect about dogs moving at any time in WT losing all their points, (I suggest you look at the marks available for the stays and the rules)

I use the word stakes = classes; it is known in english as a synonym!

I am aware of the marking system in Obedience, but I obviously failed to articulate my post sufficiently, I do apologise.

No I do not judge obedience, I only judge WT, as I said I have friends who compete and judge in Ch C and have Ob Ch and I have watched many competitions!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Er actually you are incorrect about dogs moving at any time in WT losing all their points, (I suggest you look at the marks available for the stays and the rules)

I use the word stakes = classes; it is known in english as a synonym!

I am aware of the marking system in Obedience, but I obviously failed to articulate my post sufficiently, I do apologise.

No I do not judge obedience, I only judge WT, as I said I have friends who compete and judge in Ch C and have Ob Ch and I have watched many competitions!

No dog will be awarded any marks that sits, stands or crawls more than its approximate body length in any direction.
I think that means that the dog loses all it's marks if it breaks the down stay does it not ? I see they have amended the sit stay as it used to read the same-thought you as a judge would know I was partially correct(I've done WT many years ago, but never judged them)

The American's call their Obedience classes stakes not the British & stake is not a synonym for class in the English Oxford dictionary.

You've seen an Ob Ch that never has it's paws on the floor in retrieve or recall ?? Hm there is no recall to front in C only the recall to heel from the sendaway so I presume the dog floats around the ring must watch out for that next time I judge a C, I know it's not any of the Ob Ch I have judged in C(or before they got to C & became an Ob Ch & there are a good few of them)

Anyway I must be away to my bed as I'm off to watch out for that floating Ob Ch tomorrow
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >