Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by KateM View Post
Ok, so just a thought, why only limit the number of litters a bitch can have - why not also put a limit on the number of times a dog can be used?
There is the hard physical reason why a bitch should have no more than three litters (but preferably two) - they risk their lives to have pups and their health can suffer - puppies take so much out of a bitch.
A male dog is more like a male human inasmuch as he does his stuff and does not have the price of pregnancy to pay. However, I believe a male should only be used to sire puppies if he is an exceptional specimen of his breed, with excellent temperament and as free from known hereditary problems as is possible to be. He should also only be available to bitches who are also good specimens, etc. etc. Anyone can have an entire male dog and call him a "stud dog" and there are plenty of very indifferent so called "studs" some without any health checks, owned by folks who don't know better. Without a proven health record and achievement in the show or working field there is no need to breed from them at all.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2010, 04:17 PM
In Germany GSDs are restricted for the use of stud dogs & of course all breeding dogs/bitches have to be passed fit to breed from & fit for function. The top dogs are limited to(I think)50 bitches per year & lesser rated dogs far less. Also the breed warden has to OK the puppies before they can be tattooed/chipped & registered
josshun
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I don't see any justification for breeding from a bitch 6 times. That screams of puppy farm breeding practices. To get 6 litters out of a bitch you'd either have to breed on back-to-back seasons, so two litters a year, or assuming the bitch was 2 years old on the first breeding have a litter every year until the bitch was 8 (too old).

IMO the maximum should be 3 litters.
definitly agree max 3 litter's
willowish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2010, 09:53 AM
In some breeds 2 litters could mean as many as 20+ puppies in others it could be as little as 2-4 so a blanket ruling for all breeds could make it very difficult for breeders to keep some lines going in the breeds that have few puppies in each litter. However I have never taken more than one litter from any bitch so do agree 6 is way to many
Gill
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I don't see any justification for breeding from a bitch 6 times. That screams of puppy farm breeding practices. To get 6 litters out of a bitch you'd either have to breed on back-to-back seasons, so two litters a year, or assuming the bitch was 2 years old on the first breeding have a litter every year until the bitch was 8 (too old).

IMO the maximum should be 3 litters.

My feelings as well.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

13-06-2010, 10:17 AM
What is the point of recommendations?

In every professional field I have encountered (bar medicine) requirements and recommendations are instantly interpreted as 'stuff you have to do" and "stuff you don't have to do".
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
What is the point of recommendations?

In every professional field I have encountered (bar medicine) requirements and recommendations are instantly interpreted as 'stuff you have to do" and "stuff you don't have to do".
The KC would like to be seen as responsible...but don't want to loose the potential registration fees!

Hence - recommendation
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2010, 11:01 AM
I think it should depend on the breed, for example the breeds which only have 1-2 babies per litter should perhaps be allowed to breed more than 3 times (as long as it is not at a detriment to the bitch) but ones who have 6+ pups shouldnt be bred more than 3 times.

I definitely think dogs should also have a maximum number of litters sired. Again that should depend on the breed and gene pool. In a small one perhaps no more than 6 litters in a large one maybe up to 20 litters?

xx
Oliver21508
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-06-2010, 04:08 PM
I think there should be a forced maximum of 4 litters per bitch. A bitch shouldn't mate until she's 12 months old anyway, preferably 2 years old. She should have a year break between litters (ie skip a season), and I think she should be mated after she's 6 years old.

I don't see any reason to have any more than that. If you don't achieve what you want from that bitch from 4 litters, then you've chosen the wrong bitch and studs.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2