Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 04:36 PM

New lounge before & after pics & still not finished

...with the long old journey inbetween, and it's still not finished yet, waiting for the floor to be screwed down properly next, then the new carpet and the grand entrance of the new sofa which will arrive after the carpet!

This is the only pic I have of what it was like when we first moved in, very "old lady" isn't it and soooooo not me

Then the mess began, the old yorkstone fireplace came out

New chimney breast was built to hide the wiring

Then we had the plasterers in when all the new electrics were done

Then along came the painters the following week

and then finally, Dave got some of the stuff on the wall and the little cupboards alongside, so I'm back in there now!

We then moved the 3 recliner chairs where we're going to put this great, big new squidgy sofa.....but.... dave isn't comfortable, he said the telly is too high and too near from there and it's given him neck ache, so the chairs are now back where they were further back.

This is an old original picture before the lounge was done, but these glass doors are going next week-end, and that will make it kind of open plan from the hallway, (which has since been completed since this picture was taken as it's an old pic and the hall is now all finished).

Such a shame about the sofa, but we've moved just Dave's recliner back to the rear end of the front patio doors (might actually shove him outside on the terrace eventually lol!) and he's happy with it there, but I want that sofa and it just won't fit in this lounge any other way where you can see the tv, cos it's 13 feet long!! Never again would I be able to purchase a £3K sofa for only £700,so I'm loathe to give up on this idea

I would welcome your opinions please, as to whether you think a big sofa where those 3 recliners have been put looks daft The thing is, once those patio doors are open, or even when they're closed, you get to see the glorious view that's happening out there over the front terrace, and it just seems "right" to me Dunno, I've got to make my mind up before tomorrow when I have to go in and pay the balance.

Then there's those glass doors, should they stay or should they go? I think they're dated, very 80's and opening it all up will mean Dave can have his chair right the way back there and I can still have the sofa, and the walk through is inbetween, straight out through those big doors, or round to the conservatory area with nothing in the way. It had this tunnel effect with the two recliners in front of those glass doors

We still have a long way to go, flooring still to do and then the new carpet once the glass petition has gone, but that'll be another couple of weeks, but I just thought I'd show you how busy we've (he's!) been for the past 3 weeks

Here's a better pic of where that new sofa would go, please tell me it's right??? Maybe??? It's cream and white and mink, very light in colour, not dark like these chairs are!

Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 04:55 PM
It's all looking fantastic Helena. I think I'm with Dave on this one though with the sofa ( sorry ) From the photo the sofa would look a bit too near the tele & with it being so big & high up I think you would need to be further away to watch in comfort. Just my thoughts though.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-04-2013, 05:01 PM
That's the problem with putting the telly on the wall, and why I've not done it (although not sure if I can with an open fire anyway) as I can see me getting a crick in my neck looking up at it.
Think you should get the sofa, like you say you're never going to get the opportunity again, and I think you'll make it work by a bit more shifting about.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Ooooooh I preferred it as it was I'm afraid, "old lady"
Only Joking!

It looks fab but I think I would open it up and get rid of the glass doors.

I'm well jell
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by Taffsmum View Post
It's all looking fantastic Helena. I think I'm with Dave on this one though with the sofa ( sorry ) From the photo the sofa would look a bit too near the tele & with it being so big & high up I think you would need to be further away to watch in comfort. Just my thoughts though.
thanks TM, hmmm, you're convincing me now. This is what I wanted, some good feedback no matter how sad I'll be when I can't have my sofa but don't worry about me, it's Dave who is important around here I know that, and I appreciate your honestly there TM. so thanks.xxx

Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
That's the problem with putting the telly on the wall, and why I've not done it (although not sure if I can with an open fire anyway) as I can see me getting a crick in my neck looking up at it.
Think you should get the sofa, like you say you're never going to get the opportunity again, and I think you'll make it work by a bit more shifting about.
See on a recliner June, you don't get the crick in your neck, cos the neck part is back, so you're automatically looking up, BUT, no matter how soft and squidgy and cushion supported this new sofa is, you can't do that with a sofa can ya, and you definitely, definitely can't put a tv on the wall above a roaring fire like you have Thanks June.

Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Ooooooh I preferred it as it was I'm afraid, "old lady"
Only Joking!

It looks fab but I think I would open it up and get rid of the glass doors.

I'm well jell
Oh you ARE well jell Jen!!!! So the doors are going, cos you're the 5th person to say they've gotta go including me and Dave, BUT, what about the big sofa I want, has that gotta go too now then???
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Oh you ARE well jell Jen!!!! So the doors are going, cos you're the 5th person to say they've gotta go including me and Dave, BUT, what about the big sofa I want, has that gotta go too now then???
Yes, you have my address haven't you?

It is very difficult to make a decision on a photograph, ie you are on your own with that one
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
...with the long old journey inbetween, and it's still not finished yet, waiting for the floor to be screwed down properly next, then the new carpet and the grand entrance of the new sofa which will arrive after the carpet!

This is the only pic I have of what it was like when we first moved in, very "old lady" isn't it and soooooo not me

Then the mess began, the old yorkstone fireplace came out

New chimney breast was built to hide the wiring

Then we had the plasterers in when all the new electrics were done

Then along came the painters the following week

and then finally, Dave got some of the stuff on the wall and the little cupboards alongside, so I'm back in there now!

We then moved the 3 recliner chairs where we're going to put this great, big new squidgy sofa.....but.... dave isn't comfortable, he said the telly is too high and too near from there and it's given him neck ache, so the chairs are now back where they were further back.

This is an old original picture before the lounge was done, but these glass doors are going next week-end, and that will make it kind of open plan from the hallway, (which has since been completed since this picture was taken as it's an old pic and the hall is now all finished).

Such a shame about the sofa, but we've moved just Dave's recliner back to the rear end of the front patio doors (might actually shove him outside on the terrace eventually lol!) and he's happy with it there, but I want that sofa and it just won't fit in this lounge any other way where you can see the tv, cos it's 13 feet long!! Never again would I be able to purchase a £3K sofa for only £700,so I'm loathe to give up on this idea

I would welcome your opinions please, as to whether you think a big sofa where those 3 recliners have been put looks daft The thing is, once those patio doors are open, or even when they're closed, you get to see the glorious view that's happening out there over the front terrace, and it just seems "right" to me Dunno, I've got to make my mind up before tomorrow when I have to go in and pay the balance.

Then there's those glass doors, should they stay or should they go? I think they're dated, very 80's and opening it all up will mean Dave can have his chair right the way back there and I can still have the sofa, and the walk through is inbetween, straight out through those big doors, or round to the conservatory area with nothing in the way. It had this tunnel effect with the two recliners in front of those glass doors

We still have a long way to go, flooring still to do and then the new carpet once the glass petition has gone, but that'll be another couple of weeks, but I just thought I'd show you how busy we've (he's!) been for the past 3 weeks

Here's a better pic of where that new sofa would go, please tell me it's right??? Maybe??? It's cream and white and mink, very light in colour, not dark like these chairs are!

Hi I think moving the glass door as you suggested,and putting the sofa,but its very difficult,when we moved our settee it ended up in the summer house,until we established where it was going,and then it had to go through the window,still not sure,but its in now so no going back,but you have a much larger area so can play,sometimes looking in shops where they have room settings you get a better idea,or if you are clever on the computer you can get free downloads,and do it on the computer room planners crystalgirl
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 05:31 PM
Right, an executive decision has now been made thanks to you lot! The sofa thing encroaches on the lounge space, it's too near the telly, and we already knew how difficult it was to put a large sofa in this house when we moved here cos we brought one with us and sold it to the neighbours lol!

We are going to stick with our two recliners we have now, sell the 3rd one to the neighbours, and then see what matching furniture we want in there, cos I kinda like all the space it will give us (lots of ball play with Zena ) just as it is now. When all my mates come over next month they'll just have to sit on the floor won't they!

Will take more pics next week-end when the glass doors come crashing down, but me and Zena will be well out of the way when that happens and Dave knows what he's doing.

Thanks guys, off to the furniture shop I go tomorrow then to cancel my order! I wonder if he'll let me have a cushion in exchange for my £30 deposit I gave them??? Good job that's all I had in my purse isn't it
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-04-2013, 05:33 PM
Looking very nice I agree with Lynne it wouldn't look right where the recliners are now and to near the tele. (Sorry).
Just a thought if you remove those doors could the sofa go there ?
Sometimes you just have to go for it and then make the room fit the furniture. You could maybe move the tele is that a possibility ?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-04-2013, 05:36 PM
LOL Lynn, Dave's spent goodness knows how long getting things so the TV goes on the wall
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >