Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
daisylynn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-12-2012, 01:59 PM

Lumbar muscle strain

I was trying to scoot crates up to the table to eat dinner 9 days ago. Crates don't scoot like chairs do. I fell off the crate onto the floor. I slammed my lower back into the floor. 9 days after my fall and my back STILL hurts. Popping ibprofen like a drug addict just doesn't help. Neither does ice, heat, standing, sitting or lying down. I went to the the ER last night to get checked.I have a lumbar muscle strain. I got a muscle relaxant shot, prescribed hydrocodone and sent home.

Everyone in the ER was baffled that I waited so long. But I honestly didn't think I fell that hard. And I didn't realize that a fall could do that much damage. It probably doesn't help that I push myself too hard doing work at the shelter... But those dogs need me, and I feel it's my duty to be there, lumbar muscle strain be darned. I think I take my volunteering too seriously.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Daisy, please take care. I injured my back about 30 years ago and have never been free from it since.
Hope you are better soon.
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-12-2012, 06:33 AM
I agree with Nippy. I had a back injury a number of years ago. I ignored it and carried on, and I have caused damage that will be with me for life.

I cannot stand still (for example, at the sink) for longer than a few minutes, which is a total nuisance when I want to do things in the kitchen. When I walk, I have to frequently stop to sit down. This limits where I can go with the dog, as if I go somewhere where I won't be able to have rest breaks I end up in agony for days afterwards. It also causes me great pain when doing the shopping as I can't just stop and sit down in Tesco.

Please rest properly and let it heal. You don't want to end up like I have.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Poor you - why don't you go and see a Physical Therapist (physiotherapist in the UK). Now that you know from the x-rays that you haven't broken or chipped bone they will give you advice and exercises to do. I really wouldn't suffer in silence when I can assure you the PT will help hugely.

Good luck.
JulieSS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Back injuries are to be taken seriously, DON'T try to "be brave" and force yourself through unneccessary things!