Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
_Charlotte_
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Fair enough---I'd have probably done the same.

The pup is a bit overwhelming by the sound of it, make sure you give the JR time to herself and a safe area away from the pup.

When she does start to interact don't tell her off if she goes for the pup, there is a big size difference and she'll want to sort it out fast!

A crate for the pup would be a good idea, make it a nice area and use stuffed kongs etc in it.

Good luck---pictures please.

rune
I'll get pictures up tomorrow.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 07:57 AM
I would take them somewhere neutral, park or something to see how they interact.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-07-2010, 08:27 AM
i would have avoided a puppy farm in the first place.

i would also have avoided getting a dog, or at least, got the most appropriate dog for my existing timid dog.

but if i did decide to get another dog, i would have let both dogs meet a couple times to see if my existing dog would be ok before commiting to the purchase

the best you can do now is do nice gentle on lead introductions out of the home, and then in the home, provide stairgates and crates to give your existing dog time out and an opportunity for the puppy to have quiet time and learn toilet training and home alone training and all the opportunties a crate provides.

i would also not allow the pup to be too boisteorus indoors around your existing timid dog, and i would enrol the pup into training classes ASAP.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 08:41 AM
I always find that to start by telling someone that you would not have done what they did is counter productive.

In any behavioural type of consultation, be it face to face or on the net or the phone, you deal with the situation as it is.

With your wider base of knowledge on this subject I am sure you would have done differently---but saying that helps no one and is actually rather unfair.

Well done on managing to give a little good advice after saying what you wouldn't have done!

rune
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-07-2010, 08:44 AM
fair enough
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2010, 09:02 AM
I've not long got a puppy English Bull Dog and had to introduce her to my 6 year old GSD.

He didn't take to kindly to this at first and took about a week for him to get use to her and start to play.

Make sure you're JR doesn't feel pushed out. As everyone said before. Always greet your JR first, feed it first and show it that his place in the pack will not be challenged.

One afternoon I sat in the garden with them both. I gave Kaiser lots of attention when the puppy was near him. Stroked them lots, showed him that the pup was a good think by giving him praise whenever she was near him.
It broke the ice and he started playing with her under my supervision.

They're best of friends now...I never thought it was possible. My GSD doesn't really bother with other dogs as it quite dominant. So just shows u any things possible.

Time and patience, and lots of praise for you JR. Take some time out from the puppy to do things you would normally do with your JR on you're own.

Hope that helps
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2