Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2015, 10:19 PM

Lung worm

Hi
My dog went to the vets about a month ago with a persistent cough we thought at Christmas it was kennel cough but didn't clear, ab and metacam given but the vet wasn't convinced, and said next step is scope under general anaesthetic to take a look which I'm hanging on about because want to have him neutered at the same time and he is just 12 months old.

I have just received the vets blog email discussing lung worm, and I'm thinking the symptoms fit, he has been wormed with drontal and advocate today, would it be worth a blood test to check for lungworm or will the wormer treat it if it is? Going to ring the vets tomorrow to discuss it anyway just curious and would like any of your options

Thanks
ATD x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-05-2015, 09:44 AM
Hi ADT I would talk to your vet about a treatment for lung worm which you can give as a precaution.
They should be able to prescribe something stronger and specifically for the condition rather than those found in over the counter remedies.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2015, 11:10 PM
Hi
Thanks for the reply- he has had the vet wormer on Friday for lung worm treatment / prevention which was advocate . I rang the vet who said not to do the blood test as he has had the treatment already, just curious to find out how long it would take to clear it if it is lung worm. He was worse than ever on sat, I presume the owner had kicked in and and was coughing up and swallowing the worms, today he seems a lot better.

Part of me is panicking about him because I had my older dog PTS on Friday so worrying about every little cough

ATD x
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2015, 10:34 AM
I'd get some X-rays done straight away if it was mine. My nine year old, Meeka, presented with the same symptoms, was treated for kennel cough which didn't have any effect, had X-rays which showed lung cancer and we lost her that day.

I don't want to alarm you but I personally wouldn't wait for further tests.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2015, 12:27 AM
Taking him to the vets tomorrow, his tongue and gums are pale =[ why can't I get a break suki Friday now codi
ATD x
Meg
Supervisor

05-05-2015, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
Taking him to the vets tomorrow, his tongue and gums are pale =[ why can't I get a break suki Friday now codi
ATD x
Anne-Theresa I know it must be hard for you but try to stay positive. I hope all goes well at the vets ...xhugsx...
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2015, 06:40 PM
Thought I would give an update:
Lung worm test was -be, chest was clear and X-Ray was clear, reflexes normal and nothing stuck,

8 day course of antibiotics given until swab comes back for culture and sensitivity hopefully by Friday

ATD x
Meg
Supervisor

05-05-2015, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
Thought I would give an update:
Lung worm test was -be, chest was clear and X-Ray was clear, reflexes normal and nothing stuck,

8 day course of antibiotics given until swab comes back for culture and sensitivity hopefully by Friday

ATD x
Hi Anne-Theresa that sounds hopeful, hope the ABs do the trick...
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2015, 09:40 PM
Hi yes it suppose it is hopeful just at the time looked like having more dead ends but on a positive note 24 hours after antibiotics he seems brighter and coughing less
ATD x