View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2012, 11:12 AM

Changing where the dogs sleep, what to do?

at the minute my dogs sleep upstairs in my bed. I've been thinking about changing this routine anyway, but then I miss them when they aren't in there.

i dont mind them being in there really, it doesn't bother me. but I'm sort of seeing someone, and I'm hoping it progresses further. if that does happen then hes a no dogs in the bed type of guy. (not just for this guy but I've been thinking about it with guys in general)

so, do i stop them sleeping upstairs all together? or could i still have them up there when I'm on my own

is it fair on them to swap from one to the other all the time? or will they not be fussed. they sleep downstairs anyway now and again if i stay out, so its not like they aren't used to it.

could i maybe have the dogs up there for a bit, but when its time to go to sleep but them in their crates?

i don't know, i guess I'm just babbling, and thinking out loud, but i can't decide what to do with them both.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2012, 11:48 AM
I have just changed my dogs sleeping place, not from the bedroom but from my lounge because i've just got a new leather sofa and i don't want the dogs on it. They used to have their beds in the lounge but they would always be on the sofas when i came down in the morning and one of them scratched one of the sofas badly and made a hole in it so i don't want them to do the same to my new one.

When i am there i let them into the lounge in their beds but when i am out and at night time i have their beds on the landing outside by bedroom door and they have been fine. They were a bit confused and put out at first but they seem to have got used to it now
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-08-2012, 12:07 PM
It depends on your dogs to be honest. With my dog he is quite happy to come and cuddle up on the bed with me when I ask him to (when OH is out or away) and he has access to it all day when were out but as soon as OH gets home and says 'in your box' he is quite happy to go back to his own bed. He will only get on the bed when he is invited or when no one is around, but always gets off first time because he really isn't that bothered and he really likes his own bed with his cuddly toys.
If your dogs aren't as easy going or don't deal so well with being sent away then I would change it and stick to it, but I know how hard that can be. My dog used to sleep with me all the time but with OH it was a struggle to fit and then when we had a second dog for a few months there was no chance we could all get into the bed... Since then Cookie has been fine with it either way.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2012, 12:47 PM
i dont think daphni will have a problem, she often hops onto the floor anyway, but asbo has slept in my bed since i brought him home, and hes 2 soon! again hes not too fussy he sleeps downstairs when im not home without any myther. i think its me thats more bothered

i may try just letting them sleep downstairs once a week, as thats what to start with it will mostly be. id quite happily have crates in my room, but not too sure where i could put them without them looking ugly if that makes sense
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2012, 01:26 PM
If you want to move them Id start as you mean to go on
Decide where you want them to permenently sleep and put their beds down and stick to it. They may not like it at first but dont give up, they'll get used to it

When we move house our dogs will be sleeping downstairs from day 1. They sleep in the bedroom at the moment.

Best of luck x
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2012, 07:52 PM
I had to do this when the baby was due and asked for advice on here too about it!

Our solution was I bought the dogs a gorgeous thick kingsize duvet and a nice cover and at night i get that out and put it on the landing doubled over once for them to snuggle up on, and as they're only allowed upstairs/on the duvet at night they love it! and have never looked back - the baby is in his own room now so the dogs are welcome on the bed but they prefer their duvet!
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
If you want to move them Id start as you mean to go on
Decide where you want them to permenently sleep and put their beds down and stick to it. They may not like it at first but dont give up, they'll get used to it
i agree with this
SusanAndMax
New Member!
Female 

16-08-2012, 08:31 PM
I think that you could easily teach your dog that some nights it's acceptable to sleep on the bed with you and some nights it's not. That's what I do with my dog Max. Sometime he's allowed on the bed and sometimes not. It's not a big deal at all.
Duck
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-08-2012, 09:03 PM
i sleep in my lounge where my dane also does in his crate, with my first dane when he got older he decided he didnt want to sleep in the crate anymore and 5am every morning he would cry to come out so i stopped putting him in at night, he was use to sleeping on my bed during the day so i taught him to sleep on the couch at night and not on my bed, and he learnt at night when i said bed time he went up on the couch and didnt move all night, he still came up on the bed for cuddles during the day. my current dane still sleeps in his crate at night but when im not working the next day i leave him out and he has also learnt to sleep on his bed on the floor at night and not on my bed.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I may try and teach them to sleep on their own bed on my floor. But I know they sneak up when I'm asleep I do have a bit of a pen in my room, they could be started off in there and I could slowly take the pen away.

I started to think about it aswell for if and when I have a big dog that clearly wouldn't fit in my bed with me 2 small dogs and someone else in it
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >