Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CBT
Dogsey Senior

07-03-2005, 10:39 AM
:smt038 :smt023

well said housedog

I also like your signature, it is very fitting and could easily be applied to staffords, they have the drive to keep getting back up even if they get knocked down
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2005, 10:41 AM
it was just an idea to help keep our breed safe from the DDA, something which i think we all want to do

edited to ask: for what reason do you need your dog to be game? why do they have to keep getting back up? for what? surely for them to be 'just another breed' it takes the spotlight of them and saves them from worldwide descruction? most owners suppress a dogs natural instinct anyway, we do not allow our dogs to fight, the only reason i see for a stafford to keep it's gameness is for the ability to play for ages without giving up, for the abilitly to walk for miles etc, i see no other domesticated reasons for it.

(sorry after re reading your post i just needed to ask)
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2005, 11:18 AM
why is there a problem with the staffy being just another canine?
olive
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-03-2005, 11:25 AM
Hi Emma, I see where your coming from and your concern for your breed is totally understandable, but I don't really think that the gameness in the breed is the problem, more the aggression that is bred into some of the lines - game dogs should be able to live happily with other dogs , they just know their own mind and aren't a push over. I would certainly prefer a confident, stable, game dog than an aggressive, unpredictable, nervous dog, that I have seen in alot of terriers breeds recently .

I think game dogs suit certain people. I wouldn't want a placid, gentle dog, like a golden retriever (much that I love them), I like the challenge that comes along with owning an intense, spirited breed that has a strong working drive - I suppose I am quite spirited and a bit cheeky so Olive and I suit each other
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2005, 11:26 AM
to be just another canine will stop people wanting to use them for fighting, and to look tough, and will save them as a breed, surely a small price to pay for saving an entire breed?

i chose a stafford not for its gameness, but for its love for humans, children especially, i chose it for its loyalty and affection.
olive
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-03-2005, 11:37 AM
I've been thinking about this "gameness" question all morning , it's really got me thinking. "Gameness" seems to have different connotations for different breeds, plus a game staffie is a very different challenge than say a game fox terrier.
craig
Dogsey Junior

07-03-2005, 11:47 AM
a dog being game doesn't mean that it is a dog that wonts to kill every thing that moves, the game dog is not the problem but the stupid owners that dont know how to look after them, i had an APBT that eas suposed to benuts because of its lines but it was the biggest pet ever because of how it was brought up.
CBT
Dogsey Senior

07-03-2005, 12:14 PM
well after my recent walk I have changed my opinion.

I now think staffies should be added to the DDA

they most definately are dangerous!

has anyone else ever had a mad staffie run into their legs at full pelt?

I called the dogs and forgot to jump into my splitz style stance at the last second, (allowing mad staffies to run through the gap) and they crashed right into me

ouch

Incase anyone is unsure this is a joke!!!
olive
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-03-2005, 12:20 PM

It's when they run into the back of your knees and you end up flat on your back sprawly in the mud .
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-03-2005, 12:22 PM
Mine do it quite often CBT usually when there's loads of people stood about looking in my direction ops:
Closed Thread
Page 7 of 14 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »