Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-01-2005, 10:45 PM

Bunny Hop

Star is a 10 month old choc lab who sometimes does a bunny hop style run, this did not concern me at first until i read it can be a sign of hip dysplasia.
Both his parents had a hip score of 5-4, and he shows no signs of stiffness lameness or limping and he is 100% healthy in every other respect.
So what i am asking is, is it always a sign of HD or do some dogs just do it.
Thanks in advance
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-01-2005, 01:42 AM
I would be inclined to get x-rays done, if only for peace of mind. Bunny hopping is certainly a symptom of HD and even if the parents have excellent hips there is no guarantee that the pups will be clear.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2005, 08:16 AM
Yeah I would have him xrayed too. Especially as he is a labrador.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2005, 09:12 AM
Me too.It can be a sign of HD and its better to know and then you can deal with accordingly
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-01-2005, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the advice, we are going to speak to the vet next week as he is due there then anyway.

When a dog has HD do they "bunny hop" all the time I.E. - walking and running or just occasionally, as he only seems to do it when he is ready to dive at a ball or toy.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2005, 09:41 AM
No not all the time....can be occasionally or whatever..
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2005, 10:03 AM
My dog Kip does this occassionally if I throw a stick and she cannot see it bounces along in the way you describe not all the time just not and again. Its like she hops on her tip toes for a few feet while she is looking, certainly she has no problems with her hops its just something she does we always have a laugh. That said she is just a small terrier and because your breed may have a history of HD I would have him checked out just incase but dont worry too much as I am sure there would be more signs than just this .
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2005, 10:14 AM
Laura
From your description it doesn't sound like your dog bunny hops...However you can't tell if your dog has hip displacia unless it is x-rayed.Some dogs with HD move very soundly and never have a problem during their lives since the muscle can build to compensate for lack of a good joint.
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2005, 10:19 AM
poppy does that hopping thing, she also looks like a rocking horse now when she runs cos shes getting on a bit!!awww its a shame
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2005, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by Archer
Laura
However you can't tell if your dog has hip displacia unless it is x-rayed.Some dogs with HD move very soundly and never have a problem during their lives since the muscle can build to compensate for lack of a good joint.
No you are absolutely right Archer that is why I said have the dog checked over anyway, I dont know too much about it to give out any advice but I always say don’t panic too much until you know what is happening Well whatever Kip does that is what we always called it (hopping) because she literally hops around on her tip toes its difficult to explain without seeing it.

Laura
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >