Female 

27-11-2011, 11:46 AM
Completely agree.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by BangKaew View Post
the funny thing about that is that in the Aberdeenshire dialect of doric, which I have a halting understanding of, they use f when the English or even scots' dialect would use wh or h. For example -how are you, is -fit like? How do you do? Is -foo ye deeing? Where are you going? Is -far ye gan? Who is it? Is -fa ist? etc etc
My Dads side of the family are Aberdeenshire so I am used to the doric and I do find it fascinating

But what I find annoying - although interesting at the same time, is how groups start talking in american jail slang and stuff

I do hate hate hate 'ned' speak. Inner city (especially most of the big cities) really lazy strong accents. It does tend to make people make assumptions on the persons inteligence and limits the types of jobs a person can have
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-11-2011, 04:26 AM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
Dialects are interesting things..IMO, it would be boring if we all spoke the queen's English.

Yes, I will sometimes replace tH with f, all V, if people don't like it, I couldn't give a flying Fishermans shiny s***e.. I'm not here to please them.
oh yes, doric is wonderful to listen to.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by BangKaew View Post
oh yes, doric is wonderful to listen to.
Im trying to get a really old tape made digital at the moment - it is my dad and a friend 'interviewing' their grandad. Even I struggle to understand everything he is saying but it is lovely to listen to him telling his stories and stuff
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

29-11-2011, 04:15 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Im trying to get a really old tape made digital at the moment - it is my dad and a friend 'interviewing' their grandad. Even I struggle to understand everything he is saying but it is lovely to listen to him telling his stories and stuff
the broadest family members of mine have both unfortunately just died. I really struggled understanding them as it was not only the words but the very strong accent. Apparently you get fisher folk and farming folk doric. The fisher folk have a harsher dialect and the farmers - my lot, more droll. What with the north sea fishing and then oil, it is a pretty prosperous area.
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
my uncle just sent me this line from a doric poem that I thought I would share;

"fa did fit, fan and faar, foo, an fit wye"

i am happy to translate!
Page 16 of 16 « First < 6 13 14 15 16