Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
artofhands
New Member!
Female 

25-05-2008, 06:47 PM

New puppy afraid of brushes

Hi! I've had my new puppy for 1.5 days. I wanted to start getting him used to being groomed, but something has happened in his previous life to make him afraid of brushes. I haven't even brushed him yet, but someone else has he now has this fear.

I tried just leaving the brushes in his space (with supervision of course) so that he could sniff them and see that they are harmless in themselves.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Sarah
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2008, 07:44 PM
just takes time i minute every day it could take weeks but keep going
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-05-2008, 07:57 PM
use treats (sausages)
beckyandbuster
New Member!
Female 

27-05-2008, 09:38 AM
My King charles never liked brushes, so I would brush his bed with the bush so that it smelt like him. I them showed him when I brushed his toy dog.
Then when it came to the time that I thought he was ready I brushed my arm and then slowly brushed him when he was completely relaxed. now when I take it out of the draw he gets excited!
Barbro
New Member!
Female 

02-06-2008, 12:40 PM
What sort of dog is it ? Leaving the brush in with him is not usefull as he wont assosiate the brush with brushing.
Try standing him on a steady surface,worktop etc. on a non slip mat.
Just talk to him and stroke him ,repeat this every day and later start stroking him with the brush.Take your time,but be kind and transmitt good thought !
Let me know the outcome and we can go further.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Think you should start using the brush, gently and for only a short while but every day and now before the pup gets any older. Talking of which you do not say how old your pup is, could be important as pups go through a very short period of being frightened of anything new at around 12 weeks.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Dale hated the brush at first. I put a bit of his food on the back of it and let him get used to it that way. Crazy I know, but it was the only way he'd let the brush near him. Then I touched him gently with it, treated for that, and did a little more each day. He did get the idea that the brush wasn't so bad but he's still not that enthusiastic. He much prefers a metal comb.
Oh my other suggestion is to try a massage brush. I got one in Pets at Home. Its got soft rubbery bits not bristles and Dale didn't mind that so much. It won't groom him but might help him to like brushes.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2008, 07:29 AM
We used to have that problem with Skye, although she had never been mis-treated with a brush, but I bought a glove one, now she loves that, feels like she is just being stroked, still have to use a ordinary brush on her tail, but she's not to bad with that
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-06-2008, 06:58 AM
Poppy never liked being brushed until she'd been to the groomers for the first time, I think because they are more assertive with dogs she got the message that it was going to be done whether she liked it or not, now she's fine.

Treats help, but just remember to take the quota of treats out of the daily treat allowance, otherwise you can end up "over treating" a dog. Gradually cut down on the treats so they only get one at the end of grooming. Poppy knows that she'll get one Bob Martin Good Boy Drop at the end of grooming.

The problem I have with her is brushing her teeth. She licks all the toothpaste off the brush before I've had chance to start brushing!