View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labaddicted91
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-07-2012, 07:07 PM

If your puppy is very young, what is the longest you would leave her unattended?

If your puppy is very young, what is the longest you would leave her unattended?

I personally started off by popping to the shops for literally 5 minutes, then the next day 10 minutes, then the next day collected someone from the train station which took half an hour, the next day we had a viewing that took a hour and the next day we had 2 in one go that was unexpected which was almost 2 and a half hours. I wanted to get back to her as I thought it would be too much too soon, but luckily no accidents or damaged furniture. That at the moment is the longest I would feel comfy leaving her and only after she had been fed, let out and was feeling mildly tired with a robust chew/toy/water.

My OH I suspect thinks I'm being silly. She is 8 weeks old and 2 days, we have had her since she was 6 weeks and 4 days. I would not feel comfortable leaving her more than 2 hours more than maybe 2 or 3 times a week at the moment, but am aware she needs to get used to it without me forcing her into the deep end!

This is not meant to be a debate, just what you feel comfortable with
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Erm, with me, it would all depend on the dog.

When I got Harley, I would only leave him alone alone when I took Jess for a walk, but then if we did leave, he had Jess, so was never alone alone so to speak. I worked up the time like you though, and he's been fine.

The first time he had to be left for about 4 hours, I left his crate door open for the first time, as it wasn't fair in my mind leaving him in a crate for that long, and was petrified of what I would find when I got in, but there was nothing. No damage, no mess, no anything He was about 7/8 months by this stage though.
labaddicted91
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Betsy currently gets the run of downstairs if I'm out. Reason being her crate is in the conservatory which although rare where we live, can be vulnerable to extremes of hot/cold, so I like her to have the choice for comfort & safety. This seems to be working so far, and she has a bed in the living room during the day.

I was petrified myself the first few times, the first and last being the worse...I was convinced she would eat something deadly or stick her paw somehow in a socket whilst I'm out that I haven't already puppy proofed!

I don't think I could leave her for 4 hours yet though, 2 1/2 definatley is the most I would be comfy with right now, but who knows what the future might bring. My old lab was sometimes left for 12 hours from about 1 year for family emergency only and he would be fine and content, normally he would be sitting with classic fm eating his kong XD. He did have a digestive tract made of steel though...
Muskrat
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Our puppy is almost 9 weeks and we've left him for an hour or so a few times while we go to the shops or walk our other dog, and he's been left for 4 hours a couple of times while we were both at work, though we both work within walking distance of the house and can and do easily pop back every hour or so between us.. So he wasn't really left for the entire 4 hours.

We leave him in a play pen because we don't feel comfortable leaving him unsupervised with our other dog. He's been fine, a couple of toilet accidents and a little crying, but no blanket or bed destruction and no excessive noisiness.

I wouldn't want to leave him for more than an hour and a half without popping back, mainly because we can't leave him in his pen with food (as our other dog would break down the pen to get at the food!) so that rules out leaving him with kongs, etc. which seems unfair.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2012, 07:38 PM
No more than a couple of hours at that age.

I also wouldn't be letting an 8 week old puppy roam free in the house without supervision while I was gone.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

14-07-2012, 05:41 AM
Length of time - I would start to feel uncomfortable at 2 hours.

I also agree it's the How.

Playpen with stuffed kongs. (Soak the kibble, stuff it in the king, leave in your freezer for a while, feed the kongs and the pup learns to auto reward for not barking, not chewing etc - once its emptied it's a toy)
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2012, 08:12 AM
So many variables....
I found a tiny pup in the street once. I kept her as it was obvious that wherever she`d come from was BAD. I had a dog-aggressive GSD bitch and was at college full time and the boys were at school.
So after a couple of days I simply had to leave her for 3 hours - but was convinced I`d come back to blood on the floor... so crept in to find the two curled up together, asleep.
The house was set up for dogs and kids, and she had constant access to outside and doggy company so 3 hours at a stretch was OK.
here they are, a few years on