Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
My dog is a cocker and gets bones once a week as I try to consentrate on a more prey model diet.

Dogs don't need veg if you cook them you loose most of the nutrients anyway. If you give them raw vegit goes in one end and out the other.

A word of warning tripe smells revolting especially the raw stuff.
thought you fed mainly minces? thats not prey model..

would just like to point out you are giving false information to a newbie again!

veg does not go in one end and straight out the other.. veg if minced up is good for dogs, they can do get nutrients out of it..
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post

would just like to point out you are giving false information to a newbie again!

veg does not go in one end and straight out the other.. veg if minced up is good for dogs, they can do get nutrients out of it..
It's not exactly 'false' information, it is opinion

A dog can get everything it needs from meat, offal and bones... there is no real NEED for fruit and veg... IMO of course

I firmly do believe this though, as if it were a natural thing for a dog to eat, they wouldn't need us to give them a helping hand to break it up from them in order for it to actually be digested
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post

A dog can get everything it needs from meat, offal and bones... there is no real NEED for fruit and veg... IMO of course

I firmly do believe this though, as if it were a natural thing for a dog to eat, they wouldn't need us to give them a helping hand to break it up from them in order for it to actually be digested
It is wrong information when she says it goes in and straight out the other. It doesn't. It's as bad as when she said that feeding veg makes your dog trump alot

I don't feed veg myself as a rule, I think they survive perfectly well off just meat, but I don't give false information especially to a newbie who doesn't know how or what to feed...
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post

But what is false information is saying that cooked vegetables lose most of their nutrients.

Yes, if you boil vegetables to death then most of the nutrients go down the plughole in the sink when you strain them, but if they are very lightly steamed they retain the nutrients.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post

As well as liver chunks, heart chunks and beef chunks

really? are you sure about that? In my experience they do unless their cooked im sure ive seen members posting that or am I mistaken??
*Lorraine*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Some of us give Veg , either blitzed in a blender (so more easily absorbed) or raw as a treat (mine love carrots & peas)
But it's not something I do religiously.
Raw feeding doesn't have to be complicated .... if you know your Dog, you'll be able to adjust to suit.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
My dog is a cocker and gets bones once a week as I try to consentrate on a more prey model diet. .
Pippam, you only feed bones once a week but consider yourself to be feeding a prey model diet? That doesn't really make sense to me :s
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 02:02 PM
Ps- sorry to hi- jack the thread OP.
I'm quite new to raw feeding but have learnt a lot over the last months from everyone's help here.
I still try to stick to the 10:80:10 ratio, but probably not as strictly as when I started, but it's a good starting point and helps figure out feeding amounts. I feed mine some liver with their breakfast one day a week, same for kidney on a different day.

There are lots of much more experienced members here who have been feeding this diet for a long time, smokeybear helped me a lot when I started, as did tarimoor.

Wishing you an easy change over
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 02:04 PM
I wonder if anyone puts as much thought into the precise nutritional balance of their own diets as they do their dogs!!!
*Lorraine*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
I wonder if anyone puts as much thought into the precise nutritional balance of their own diets as they do their dogs!!!
Indeed
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >