Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jpepper
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-04-2012, 08:21 PM

Keeping weight on dogs

Anybody have a dog that is just flat out nearly impossible to put weight on? My gyp Lacy weighs around 38lbs. and is constantly looking skinny. Although she is fed believe me, it's just hard for her to keep that weight.

Just looking for recommendations or supplements that could possibly help.

She is the type of dog that is constantly moving and does not lay around like most dogs will. She would rather pace back and fourth for 8 hours or so then lay down and sleep. Plus she gets hunted real hard and runs plenty of miles thru pretty rough terrain. Her ribs you can see at times but it's also muscle and I know she is healthy and far from having any fat on her.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 09:07 PM
Raw tripe builds body very effectively. Plus it's good for,them and they love it. Far better for them than any supplements.
Jpepper
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-04-2012, 09:10 PM
I'm not familiar with that. I looked it up and it sent me to green tripe? Organ meets for dogs? I feed them organs already, venison hearts mainly as well as livers.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 09:12 PM
yup raw tripe, lamb and eggs can help too
its might be good for her to teach her a 'settle' too
I have high energy dogs and I love it - but when you are chilling really your dog should be chilling
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 09:13 PM
never used them but satan balls are supposed to be good - they are on google, mince and eggs and molasses and stuff I think

Also feed little and often to get more food into them - bigger meals can cause the squits
Jpepper
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
yup raw tripe, lamb and eggs can help too
its might be good for her to teach her a 'settle' too
I have high energy dogs and I love it - but when you are chilling really your dog should be chilling
Oh no.... Not this one. While everyone is chilling she is up walking around pacing the house or yard. If you so much as moved a chair a foot away from where it was originally in the house she would know about it. It's like she constantly inspects the house and checks the yard for intruders. She only sleeps when I go to bed(I think) she is usually up staring at me when my eyes open in the morning ready to go. My other high energy dogs act nothing like her and know when to settle and conserve energy.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Feed some raw lamb with fat on, or Beef.
Jpepper
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-04-2012, 09:18 PM
How about pork?
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-04-2012, 06:05 PM
hey jeff,phil here,im into rescues and see alot of dogs like you describe,110 miles an hour alllllll day long!iv beed pretty sussesfull with getting dogs back in shape ,if you will,i tend to look for high protien feed,kibble and meats,i use what ever type for different dogs,usually i will stick to grain free kibble and mix meats with in the same bowl,i grind it up.it works good to build muscels,and it does not take long to see results,mine will eat anything,they run hard and fast and eat 3times a day,it helps to maintain a level of energy all day long,they run as they like in a fence, there in there prime and having a blast,its expensive to keep them in awsome shape,they dont get to much crap foods.good feed for a dog is, not always the best from a grociery store.one good book i liked was //better foods for dogs///.look it up,it might help.oh...no pork for mine..to many parisites...
leilateggie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-04-2012, 02:58 PM
I've found sunflower oil goos for dogs in the past, build up amounts slowly. You are not adding more bulk to the diet just very energy dense oils.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >