View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2012, 03:50 PM
I fund that white meat minces (turkey, chicken) tend to contain bones, however red meats (beef, lamb) often don't contain bone. Depends on the supplier though.

Where you say "mince", perhaps consider "meat" instead for more variety. That way you can feed minces, but also chunky tripe, chunks of beef, hunks of heart etc too. Also, don't forget white fish fillets and oily fish too although, stick with one of two proteins to start (chicken is good) and add variety over time.

Offal is usual half liver, half other offal - kidney, pancreas, lung etc. Liver and kidney are the easiest to get in supermarkets (Morrisons!).

With the weight, start at 2% bodyweight and adjust it to suit. Some dogs need more, some less (Cain only gets 1.5%)

Hope Kestral enjoys in. Nom nom nom!
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2012, 04:08 PM
Thanks Amanda, that's useful.

I could probably start by just buying the PAH meats as I can use the minces and the chunks.

In terms of suppliers do they normally have minimum orders?
Which are good ones?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-03-2012, 05:37 PM
I cannot get pet quality raw food for Pereg therefore she eats the same as I do, from the same poulterer/butcher. So if I buy mince [which would be beef, chicken or turkey] it would be freshly ground 100% meat with no bone, therefore the bone she has are the chicken wings/backs/carcasses/turkey necks - every other day as her first meal.

As "meat", ie anything other than poultry, is prohibitively expensive [you would need a massive bank loan in order to buy any lamb, even if you could find it] I count poultry gizzards and hearts as meat [as they are muscle meat] and not offal even though they are "innards" therefore classed as offal. For offal Pereg has chicken or turkey liver.

Any other liver is either impossible to get or is, again, prohibitively expensive. Kidneys? I should be so lucky to find some and afford them for myself!

Ox heart is expensive, has to be ordered, and I am afraid that I prefer to keep that for my own food and just give Pereg the trimmings , as I would do if I could get kidneys.

For fish I get the cheapest white fish fillets I can get, but as she has Omega 3 FBO and Vitamin E supplements, that fish is just for the protein content. But as I said before, she has vitamin and other supplements so I am fairly sure she has sufficient for her needs.

Freezer space is not a problem now, luckily. The only problem is financial!

Pereg seems to be doing well on what she has now, and I know she is a lot slimmer. How much weight she has lost I will not know for another few weeks, but I do know that she is happy and as I say doing well on what she has.

Whether it would suit another dog, I do not know. Whether another dog would be happy to eat the amount of vegetables Pereg enjoys I also do not know.

Every dog is different. They have different needs, different metabolisms, and different likes and dislikes. No one size fits all, and no one diet fits all dogs.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by WhichPets View Post
Thanks Amanda, that's useful.

I could probably start by just buying the PAH meats as I can use the minces and the chunks.

In terms of suppliers do they normally have minimum orders?
Which are good ones?
im not sure of your postcode,but ive started using these guys

http://www.mobilepetfoods.co.uk/section.php/8/1
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Just a thought, if you are only feeding around 130g a day, you might have trouble with the blocks of mince which are 454g (or 400g Prize Choice) so you'll need to cut it up and get 3-4 meals out of a block. You might be better off buying a free flow bag do you can weigh out and defrost only what you need per meal. If you only have space for a bag or two, you can feed the same meat for a couple of weeks until the bag runs out then switch to a new flavour. It should balance out over time.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 09:05 PM
Thanks all
Tupacs I'm moving to Manchester/Cheshire so not sure if I'd get delivery there?

I don't know if I'll be ordering enough to make delivery worthwhile? I'll probably have to start off just buying from pet shops and seeing how she goes on it.
How much can you fit in one freezer drawer?!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 09:18 PM
Thanks all
Tupacs I'm moving to Manchester/Cheshire so not sure if I'd get delivery there?

I don't know if I'll be ordering enough to make delivery worthwhile? I'll probably have to start off just buying from pet shops and seeing how she goes on it.
How much can you fit in one freezer drawer?!
Ive just ordered from raw to go and they deliver here. Their delivery is a bit steep but it means you can order just a couple of packets if you want so get a variety of flavours. If you like if you do end up in wilsmlow you could order a few packs with an order I do, see if she likes it, and we could always splot delivery costs if you ended up wanting more
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
Ive just ordered from raw to go and they deliver here. Their delivery is a bit steep but it means you can order just a couple of packets if you want so get a variety of flavours. If you like if you do end up in wilsmlow you could order a few packs with an order I do, see if she likes it, and we could always splot delivery costs if you ended up wanting more
Oo that could be good
Well I'll be nearer Cheadle I think but my work is just 5 mins from Wilmslow so it could work out well!
I'm moving up tomorrow or Saturday Hope your little ones enjoy the delivery.. let me know! And I'll look forward to organising a walk soon
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 06:43 AM
Oo that could be good
Well I'll be nearer Cheadle I think but my work is just 5 mins from Wilmslow so it could work out well!
I'm moving up tomorrow or Saturday Hope your little ones enjoy the delivery.. let me know! And I'll look forward to organising a walk soon
And if you drive - you're only about an hour away from me

Raw to Go is about £10 delivery up to 40 packs of meat I believe and more if you order more than 40.

Are you excited about your move?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
And if you drive - you're only about an hour away from me

Raw to Go is about £10 delivery up to 40 packs of meat I believe and more if you order more than 40.

Are you excited about your move?
thats what i mean though, if she only has a small freezer space she can put some in with my order and we could split the delivery charge
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >