Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
we dont choose.. thats down to the goverment.. not breeders..
We were going to sign up until the KC put a stop to it.

you know nothing about what I would choose or not choose.. so please dont make assumptions on my part
Ok, do you Shona think we should sign up?
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by Paddywack View Post
We were going to sign up until the KC put a stop to it.

Ok, do you Shona think we should sign up?
You said that certain breed clubs also put a stop to it. Shona asked which ones they were - I am curious aswell?
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
You said that certain breed clubs also put a stop to it. Shona asked which ones they were - I am curious aswell?
To be honest with you I never found out which ones, apart from I know the Dandy Dinmont was one of them. Any members of the breed clubs on here that would like to own up?
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Thanks PW. Any idea what their reasoning behind it was? Just seems a little random especially as i can't imagine the DD breeders have much clout seeing as they are one of the most endangered breeds?!
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Thanks PW. Any idea what their reasoning behind it was? Just seems a little random especially as i can't imagine the DD breeders have much clout seeing as they are one of the most endangered breeds?!
I can only guess. The ECPPA puts guide lines on inbreeding. The DD has such a small gene pool it is impossible for them not to inbreed, did they see occasional outcrossing to improve genetic diversity as something they weren't willing to do? I don't know as I said I can only guess.

The Dandy Dinmont Club were one of many breed clubs against signing up.

I wonder if there were any clubs that agreed to signing up? If I find out I'll let you know. What I did notice was the negativity from every breeder I spoke to about the convention, the reply was always along the lines of we're not the problem it's the bybs and pfs to blame
spot
Dogsey Veteran

01-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Thats not what it says here.... it must be wrong????????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea...of_Pet_Animals

Some of these Countries have appalling animal cruelty practices.

And you would like us to be associated with them
Oh and we have such a fab record do we? We just ship our used dogs over to them.

we dont choose.. thats down to the goverment.. not breeders.. or in JB's case pet owners.. It makes no diff to my way of doing things with my dogs if the UK does sign up you have an issue about breeders.. we get it!! honestly we do
The Government is constantly lobbied by interested parties on many issues, I would imagine the KC would be involved in any lobbying of parliament regarding dog issues.

Its possible the KC went out and asked the breed clubs but also just as many associations lobby the Government, the breed clubs could lobby the KC who would then act on their behalf. So just because it is not specifically known which breed clubs were involved does not mean that many were not involved.
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Thanks PW would be interesting to know.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Shona and Jackbox Why would you choose not to sign up to the Covenvention for the protection of pet animals?
From what I understand we (however they are) did not sign up , because of the tail docking, as you say it has since been emended......

Which says a lot in its self, they draw up a document for countries to sign, but then emend rules and regulations to suit individual countries wants and dislikes.

Not much of a conviction for you is it.

To me it would be another worthless piece of legislation, it wont stop bad breding, for goodness sake look at the docking bill, has it stopped people docking NO!! does it get policed...NO!!! we already have laws for cruelty to animals does it stop,

As Shona said, we know your agenda, you push it home at every opportunity.

You dont like pedigrees (although you own them) you dont like breeders, if you had your way you would have a mis mash of Xbreeds .

we dont choose.. thats down to the goverment.. not breeders.. or in JB's case pet owners.. It makes no diff to my way of doing things with my dogs if the UK does sign up you have an issue about breeders.. we get it!! honestly we do
Yes, it is made extremely clear.

To be honest with you I never found out which ones, apart from I know the Dandy Dinmont was one of them. Any members of the breed clubs on here that would like to own up?
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! you dont know, thats a turn up for the books..

What with your convictions, I am surprised you cant recite it word for word

The reading of the web pages on the document, sound good and a few Countries seem to have a good ethos going, but I say it again.... Lock to some of those Countries who have signed......

No thanks, if that is the only way forward, then forget it.

Appalling treatment of animals goes on in some of these places... why would anyone want to be associated and sign their name to something that allows this to go on.
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Jackbox and Shona I don't agree with breeding when homeless dogs are being killed everyday. I personally think it is criminal that we live in a society that sees destroying excess dogs as a way to control overpopulation instead of preventing more from being born. I have no hidden agenda I'm open with with my views.

However if breeding can't be halted until rescues can at least get control of the situation and breeders are going to breed regardless then do it to improve the health of the dogs not just pretend that's what you do (and welfare but that's a whole other discussion). If you're breeding under the KC rules of closed stud books and linebreeding then you are not improving the health of dogs. Again this is not just my opinion but the opinion of scientists and geneticists which the KC and breeders alike are choosing to ignore.

I would hate to see an end to pedigree dogs, which is why I feel so frustrated with the KC because that is the way were heading and the dogs are suffering in the process. I care more about dogs than I do about any individual breed, so if no improvements are going to be made then to be honest I'd personally be prepared to sacrifice us losing pedigrees, But it doesn't have to be that way.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Oh and we have such a fab record do we? We just ship our used dogs over to them.
Did I say we did, do you honestly think by signing up to such a association, all be fine and dandy.

As already proved , you only have to look at the appalling animal welfare in many of the countries to make it not worth the paper it is written on.

We cant even police the docking laws... never mind enforcing something that is as involved as that.
Page 50 of 65 « First < 40 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 60 > Last »