View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 07:51 PM
half a teaspoon of turmeric or smoked paprika. I like peas/sweetcorn/broadbeans chucked in too.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

04-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks guys some great ideas there!

I will start off with the more 'subtle' flavourings... and then see how it goes

I really don't mind 'bland' food as I know it's doing me good (or rather, not doing me any damage) I would just like a little bit of taste that's all - I don't ask for much eh?

I forgot to check this topic until now and have just got back up from the kitchen - I put some garlic and carrot in there today (how adventurous! lol) and yesterday I bought some sea salt as I thought that could be added too? : -/

Thanks again for all your help!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
If its only enough rice for you and you only want it a little fragrant, squeeze a quarter of a lime or a lemon into the rice as its cooking. Or crush one clove of garlic and add that.
Herbs which are quite nice with rice: basil, lemon thyme, rosemary, oregano, chives - even mint! You'll have to experiment with quantities as to what you prefer as flavouring, but I tend to use a small handful of torn basil leaves for the two of us. Just a small sprig of rosemary as its quite strong - sometimes I even use a flowering top of lavender!
Happy experimenting!
Yum!

You could add some chopped up roasted vegetables if you are doing it in the oven - such as roasted peppers, butternut squash, mushrooms, aubergine, asparagus, onion, carrot, parsnip, etc. Roasted veg are nice because the tastes are more intense.

You could cook it in a tin of chopped tomatoes and puree - with or without garlic, onions, other herbs, other veg (e.g. chopped spinach), etc.

You could add some natural yoghurt (full or low fat) to give it a tangy, creamy texture.

You could add sweetcorn, which gives a nice sweet taste.

You could cook it in wine. Or lemon juice. Or orange juice. Yum, you could add raisins or apricots (you can by apricots that are not preserved with sulphur dioxide, although they are more expensive) - apricots go nicely with chicken.

I have found low salt stock cubes in Sainsburys that you can cook it in.

How about adding toasted seeds or something like pine nuts?

Smoked salmon or other fish with rice? Canned sardines with rice?

Here's a recipe for fragrant rice:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...ce_67870.shtml
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 03:18 PM
You could soak dried apricot and sultanas in some green tea then chop into small pieces and add those too. My mum does this for a cold rice salad and it is lovely. I think she uses normal tea but thought the green tea would go down better with you Azz.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Add some cumin seeds to the rice while you're cooking it, or a piece of cinnamon stick
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2009, 06:09 AM
You can get pilau stock cubes and I've done rice in them which makes it lovely or a veggie stock cube just for some taste.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2009, 07:35 AM
I'm sure this may be a bit much for you, Azz, but I'll share it anyway.......

Fry half an onion (choped small)
Sliced mushrooms
Bacon in thin strips

When well cooked, add pre-cooked rice and mix together - utterly fab!

We have this with pork chops and it's just wonderful.

I have added sausage, courgettes, peppers and a can of chopped tomatoes - this makes it a meal in itself and is equally fab

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2