Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
boxergoggins
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-05-2011, 04:29 PM

Help...14 day illness not covered...

I have taken out petplan insurance for my 9 week old pup 9 days ago.

My understanding on the policy (prob as all the others) is that no illness is covered for the 1st 14 days.

Hypothetically (?sp) speaking should my pup need to see the vet for say...itchy ears or sore eyes etc I understand Petplan would not pay (not that the amount would be claimable)

But

would they exclude paying for future eye/ear problems as they were "pre-existing" conditions?

Hope this makes sense..would value your opinions please...Just in case!!!!
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Hi there

I think you will find all insurances are the same. For the 'introduction period' which can vary, you cant claim for illnesses, however you can claim for accidents.

Any illnesses revealing themselves during the introductioon period would be deemed existing conditions and therefore will not be covered when the policy starts in full.

Likewise, if you changed policies next year to another company, anything that happened during the dogs history - like ear infections woudl be deemed a pre-existing condition and would not be covered in the new policy.

So it is important that you choose a suitable policy now and try to stay with the same company as they will continue to cover any conditions you claim for - providing it is a 'for life' policy.

Hope this helps.

Thalice's Mum
boxergoggins
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Thank you for your reply...very helpful...

Ive got the top policy with Petplan and will carry on with the policy for the pups lifetime...I consider insurance very important esp owning boxers!!

Fingers crossed she wont be ill but thought Id ask re exclusions etc as then I know for future reference...