Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Sorry to read about this, with some help I am sure you can work things out

From the info so far, it does sound like a separation related problem as he is having a go at the door etc -this is quite typical, although one cannot assume just yet.

By that I mean, it is just possible he may be bored,or even having a party, but you need to find out for sure.

Dogs with this do not necessarily bark - they may whine or pace or salivate or urinate and defecate at the top end of the scale, or just show worry at the lower end...

My advice would agree very very strongly with the poster who suggested a video camera. I was on a separation related problems Masterclass last week, and the hosting behaviourist (Sarah Whitehead, good reputation) often sits with a glass of wine watching HOURS of her client's video tapes when the dogs are suffering from some kind of separation related problem.

The reason this has to happen is that if she fast forwards, it can be guaranteed that she will miss the trigger of what is happening!

Often you can tell what the trigger is - anxiety due to a noise, (he may be OK with this if you are there); neighbours or postman teasing; thunderstorms; fear of owner return (unlikely in this case); and many other things, even pain such as arthritis.

Ideally, I'd suggest that you bite the bullet and get in an experienced and reputable behaviourist if you can.

But certainly the first step, behaviourist or not, is to video. Whether or not you could interpret that on your own, (and if so, if you could work out what to do) or whether you would need a behaviourist, I'd be inclined to go for the behaviourist option to save yourself a lot of stress.

However, it's very important you get a good one, as there are some very bad ones out there! Maybe try:

http://www.apbc.org.uk/help/regions/area/11

Once you are sure it is a separation related problem, you can also get this book if you want, as a sort of back up:

"Don't Leave Me" by Nicole Wilde

http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=DTB1179

Wys
x
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 05:12 PM
I'm so sorry to read of your distress, you obviously love your boy a great deal and want to do whats best for him.

A lot of good advice has already been given, hopefully some of which might do the trick, alternatively, SLB has been in contact so maybe the old Dogsey magic is working as I type.

All the very best xx
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 05:23 PM
I feel your pain, I had similar issues with Rupert and would come home to destruction on a daily basis (he was left about 4 hours a day). If I confined him in an empty room he chewed the skirting boards, the windowsills, the door frames and the carpet. If I didn't confine him to an empty room he chewed the furniture. He's now crated when left and goes happily into his crate each time and I come home to no destruction. I video'd him for a few days when left alone (note: do NOT invite friends over if you have a video camera hooked up in the bedroom pointing at the bed, it looks BAD lol) and he didn't appear distressed at all. It was more like "oh that looks interesting to chew, I'll chew it!".
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 05:32 PM
My last shorthaired pointer would destroy the house if left alone. We managed it by not leaving him alone - we always left one of the other dogs with him. I think he had been left isolated for long periods before and was terrified of it happening again.
But that was that dog and that solution. What I`m trying to say is that this is merely a puzzle to solve, not something that can`t be changed.
I think that maybe it`s getting on top of you and you need to cut yourself some slack and recognise what a great job you are doing.
Some good advice already given - pour yourself a large gin and consider it?
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I wish I could reach down the screen and give you a big hug

Is he OK when left alone for the 1/2 day? When hubby gets home at lunchtime is there distruction?
Is he used to being left alone for short periods?
We built it up from when we got him anyway without any bother for ages till the bin raiding kicked in as the first salvo in it all. He's fine in the morning - only seems to kick off in an afternoon. Even a half-day booking - mornings are fine, afternoons - I come back to shennanigans.

Gets left with a Kong and that gets refilled at lunchtime to amuse him for the afternoon as well. We bought a second Kong so we could freeze both - but that was the one that died and they're sending a replacement out so at the moment the afternoon one isn't keeping him as entertained as it could do. The radio's left on for him - it's generally on in the kitchen during a normal day anyway in order to try to prevent any "woah radio's going on that means she's leaving me" moments - and he's not naturally a velcro dog when I'm at home anyway - he quite often just pootles off to his basket in the kitchen if I'm not being suitably entertaining.

We were going to get a second dog anyway in the next month or so - I'm not sure at all now, last thing I want to do is take another dog in and make a situation escalate. I don't even think I can bear the thought of having to rehome Layton if it IS a separation problem (my instincts still are it's him being bored and up to mischief - either that or Greg James is transmitting subliminal canine ASBO messages to dogs in the afternoon show) to be honest - however much I pretend to hubby that I've thought through it rationally.

Have now tacked a carpet remnant to the door - hopefully that either protects the door a bit, or removes the nice place to scratch part of the equation. Thankfully when we got the dog we did think through getting the dog BEFORE we got the kitchen refitted in case of stuff like this! Going to go doggy chewy toy shopping for some new ones that we can reserve for JUST when he's allowed them rather than open access... he's spoilt rotten.

I really don't want to go down the crate route unless absolutely necessary - just they look so horrid for him.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Just wanna say crates may look horrid to us humans - but introduced properly they are a wonderful place for our dogs - their own safe cozy den where nice things happen
Mia takes herself off to her crate most of the day - and sleeps in it (with the door open - her choice) at night - and when scary sky exploding night is happening that is where she stays - its her happy place

It means not only can they not destroy things, they are also safe and they learn to just chill when you are not there
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Sorry to hear of your problems.

I'm not convinced another dog will solve it

Kiara is one of 3 and she's a nightmare, take today for instance I took them all out this morning for about an hour and a half walkies mixed in with some swimming. Been in all day, they had their breakfast and tea so not hungry. Got 2 poorly kids at home so nipped out to KFC for tea I was gone maybe 15 mins and when I get home she's raided the kitchen bin and it's contents are all over the floor in a sticky mess! This'll be the 4th bin she's learnt how to get into!!

I've come to the conclusion that she does it simply because she can

Although she does pick up on the atmosphere at home and if I'm stressed or upset then so is she and she then trashes much worse anything is game then furniture, rugs anything she can get her mouth around, I do crate her at this stage mainly for her safety in case she eats anything dangerous, I usually leave the door open and she chooses to go in on her own and only shut the door when she starts trashing until I can reduce the stress (not always easy or immediate with foster kids!!!!)

So maybe Layton is picking up on your anxieties and displaying his the only way he can??
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 06:03 PM
{{{{hugs}}}

hey,dont feel bad all dogs have to learn how to be alone,its not natural to them and some take to it quicker than others.
bin raiding is normal dog behaviour,no self respecting dog can resist that
crates are also not as bad as they can seem to us,dogs are denning animals by nature and its often a safe haven.
do you spend all your time with him when u are home? people often try to make up for leaving them and over compensate for it,which in return often makes the wrench harder next time.
btw..in the grand scheme of things he doesnt actually sound to bad,altho im sure to u it doesnt feel that way.
i couldnt describe what my old lurcher was like at first but even he learnt how to be left...in the end

how long has he had this new regime?
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Crates may look horrid but imo a crate (introduced properly and not misused) is better than having the owner come home and feel as terrible as you are because of all the destruction. Your dog WILL be picking up on how you feel. Plus it means he can't be harmed by chewing on the wrong thing.

If Rupert can't be on the sofa for whatever reason then he'll often take himself off to his crate and sleep in there.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 06:13 PM
I think you have got yourself so deep into it that you cannot stand back and see things rationally. It sounds as if you have a happy dog that finds it difficult to manage a whole day on his own.

I often rang my dogwalker up the day before to see if she could walk Tala. I'm sure you would be able to find someone who can fit him in at short notice most times.

I would not rehome him because of this. It would be very difficult to find a better home than the one he is in as he is obviously loved and cared for very much.

Don't be so hard on yourself.

Hugs xxx
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >