View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Must admit, I have a soft spot for those Jackbox. I admit to liking Irish Water Spaniel too.

I would love to be able to add Bernese Mountain dog to my short list, but the poor health puts me off
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
Must admit, I have a soft spot for those Jackbox. I admit to liking Irish Water Spaniel too.

I would love to be able to add Bernese Mountain dog to my short list, but the poor health puts me off
there is no saying that all have health problems. there is a woman near me who breeds them, and hers have lived till old age, majority reached at least 10, some until 13
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 11:01 AM
I know. I researched the breed intensively before I got Kerrie (5 years ago) I spoke to many breeders/vets/owners, but at least everyone I spoke to warned me of the risk of a short life span. I did the same with Rotts.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by MaloreyAnimal View Post
When choosing a breed for your next dog?

There are so many different breeds I want, and I always change my mind on what my next dog will be. I always come across a dog breed that I find would be "perfect", or it's one I've had experience with and would like it, or it's another of a breed I've already owned.

For example, I want another Miniature Schnauzer as Simba was my first personal puppy and Miniature Schnauzers have turned into my heart breed. But then I'd also love a dog such as a Border Collie or Australian Shepherd who can (probably) excel in Agility and Flyball, and enjoy going on long walks/hikes.
I know what you mean, for me I don't think I could ever be without an Affen (or two!) now but there are a few other breeds that I would really love as well! Papillion, Pom and Finnish Spitz currently top the list.

In the meantime get your Schnauzer to agility! Mine was brill, tackled all the kit, smart and fast! Unfortunately she's also a bolter so it didn't work out quite to plan But I'm sure yours is much better behaved! Give it a go!

J.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 05:23 PM
My problem is there are various disciplines that i'd seriously like to get into, namely Working Trials, agility and gundog work so the first thing I would need to do is decide on a discipline! Then i'd need to decide on a breed which would, potentially, be good enough to compete with.

I think for both WT and agility i'd have an Aussie and then a GWP for a gundog, possibly a Brittany but I hear good things about Large Munsterlanders...!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
Must admit, I have a soft spot for those Jackbox. I admit to liking Irish Water Spaniel too.I would love to be able to add Bernese Mountain dog to my short list, but the poor health puts me off
Me too, but took them off my list after speaking to some breeders who say they can be iffy with other dogs.

Love the PWD , love everything about them
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 06:03 PM
My list of breeds is somewhat curtailed/limited as I'm asthmatic so has to be a non-moulting breed. I also would say I'm a terrier lover rather than a dog lover per se so that decreases my options even more!
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Portuguese water dog
Ooooooh I've been eyeing them up too!!

Won't be for a while yet as I've got three young dogs at mo but . . . .

I've definatley decided I want a puppy next time as all mine are rescues and I'd like to be able to make sure it has the proper start in life rather than dealing with a rescue and the issues they inevitably have
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Its gonna be at least 3yrs but after years h of having collies i'm going to have another GSD a sable bitch from working lines well thats the plan!!!!!!!!!!!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Me too, but took them off my list after speaking to some breeders who say they can be iffy with other dogs.

Love the PWD , love everything about them

I'd just left "Pets at Home" with Parker (after him having to visit the vets there as he'd been attacked by another dog) when an Irish Water Spaniel puppy got off its collar and went for him. Fortunately my husband was there and it met his foot first (body-block to move away-not kick!). The owner didn't even apologise-he just said "it's only a puppy" as if that made it ok! That put me off the breed too.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >