Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 06:14 PM

Cod Liver Oil for cats

Just a question.

My friend has an elderly cat who has been diagnosed with arthritis. Little Cleo is lovely if a little grumpy.

Can you give cats cod liver oil, I know it helps with my RSI and achy joints, so wondered if it would be possible to give Cleo a wee drop of cod liver oil with her dinner?
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 09:54 AM
I would be very wary of supplementing a cat's diet with cod liver oil. If a cat is eating a good balanced diet, adding cod liver oil can result in too much vitamin A. Vets often see cats wirth excess vitamin A. It can cause bone to be deposited around joints, causing pain, lameness & spinal problems ~ the last thing you need for a cat with arthritis!! Excess vitamin A is also asociated with too much liver in the diet.

For a cat suffering with arthritis (& assuming this has been properly diagnosed by a vet, not just a "guess" from the cat's behahaviour), I would recommend doing the following:
  • Ensure that the cat is not carrying any excess weight which would cause pressure on the joints.
  • Add proprietary & cat-specific joint supplements to the cat's diet, e.g. cosequin for cats. (NB much cheaper to buy on-line than from a vet IME!).
  • Ensure that the cat has easy access to it's favourite sleeping/resting places. Most cats prefer places that are above the ground & draft-free so this may mean providing a ramp, or steps, or cushions, so that the cat can get access without having to jump up or down.
  • Sometimes going through a cat flap, or getting in & out of a litter tray can be painful ~ maybe modify the access to make it easier for the cat.
  • Cats with painful joints may have trouble grooming those awkward, difficult to reach places & need some help by way of gentle grooming/brushing.
  • Heated sleeping mats could be placed in the cat's bed to ensure warmth.
  • Vets can prescribe anti-inflammatory drugs in more painful cases, but make sure you talk to your vet about possible side effects & that you know the risks.

I hope that helps your friend's cat & that it starts to feel a bit better as the weather warms up.