Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Yup when my x is around I only let him call Mia Mimi because he thinks just altering the tone of voice is enough to tell Mia all loads of comands - 'MiMiiii (come here) Meme (dont even think about doing that MEMie where are you? Mime - dont pull on the lead (after letting her pull for a min then deciding he wants her not to - then moaning that she is so good on the lead with me)
Not to mention that he uses totaly different commands and hand signals to what I have trained
- the dogs just guess something to do - they are all happy
I have just resigned to the fact that they have learnt that he speaks rubbish and when is talking to them its best just to offer a whole load of tricks and one will be the right one

men eh?
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
ROFLMAO I did larf at that, on that POSITIVE side though, he is at least altering his tone of voice, one of the most difficult things for most male handlers to do (IME).

Often when men tell their dogs "Good Dog" it is no different from when they say "Don't do that"
oh I did get a laugh there

Do men actually speak when they train a dog?
Some dont they just hold the lead higher and round the hand more depending on what they want I think
(no offense to the men on here - yes, I know not all)

oh thats so funny what a thought "mimi, meeea, mima, mime, miaa....." lol
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I am pretty consistant with what I expect of my dogs and any that visit. however I used a 'version' of NILIF with George. It worked for me and for her but what really made a break through was the clicker----suddenly there were no words confusing her and a straightforward deal for her actions.

Once she learnt to trust that and to trust me there was no stopping her.

rune
clicker is great!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 08:33 PM
ROFLMAO I did larf at that, on that POSITIVE side though, he is at least altering his tone of voice, one of the most difficult things for most male handlers to do (IME).

Often when men tell their dogs "Good Dog" it is no different from when they say "Don't do that"
lol unfort he is also guilty of barking the 'GOOD DOG' in his deepest booming voice
I watched my friends dog being v obedient for him for a short time then give up and walk away
You could see him thinking 'Its just impossible to please this guy, I give up'
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
oh I did get a laugh there

Do men actually speak when they train a dog?
Some dont they just hold the lead higher and round the hand more depending on what they want I think
(no offense to the men on here - yes, I know not all)

oh thats so funny what a thought "mimi, meeea, mima, mime, miaa....." lol
hehe, poor men getting a bashing here
Funny thing is a guy I train agility with barks orders at his dog - but when I gave him a chance to run Mia he used the softest voice and asked her to 'please lie down' it was so cute and funny - and she was loving it, prancing around with him and being far better than she ever is with me
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
hehe, poor men getting a bashing here
Funny thing is a guy I train agility with barks orders at his dog - but when I gave him a chance to run Mia he used the softest voice and asked her to 'please lie down' it was so cute and funny - and she was loving it, prancing around with him and being far better than she ever is with me
lol isnt that the way of it
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 08:46 PM
You really are just guilty of not being consistent with her which many owners are, which means you make things far too confusing for her. Dogs see everything in black and white, there is no grey. So every time you tell her do something and there are no consequences for non compliance, you are training her to be disobedient and also to be confused.

Most of us do it at one time or other.

All this chat to dogs just becomes like lift music and dogs tune it out.

I know many competition owners who NEVER use their dog's name EXCEPT for when they are training, they have ANOTHER name for domestic use (ie when grandchildren come round so the dog does not become desensitised to their name).
And yet I'm so consistent with her outdoors, training in the garden & on walks & everything is great. I have tried various things indoors & they have worked for a while for me but I'm nowhere near as consistent as I am outdoors with the added "rest of the family" not exactly helping & the talking "apples & bananas" no wonder Tilly is confused. It is us that need training not Tilly!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3